Beer of the Week: Miller High Life/Guiness draught

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mixing up a " Black and Gold" ?

The first one, I can drink by the gallon. The second one must be savored one bottle at the time. They both have their place in my world...

Gawd...got sidetracked.....Father-in-law came over and wanted to start framing up the brew stand.....

First beer of the week was rather...boring, I'd say! :)

Where is everyone?

I had my Guiness. What a different animal. I haven't had one (or hardly any commercial brew) since I started brewing in December. My first though was 'This is pretty good. I can make better though.' It's thinner in mouthfeel then I remember but still one of my favorites with wings and other pub fare. One St Paddy's I drank 9 pints (personal best.) That was many years ago when you could still get it for $5 a pint. Now your looking at $7+ per in the pub and the four-pack I bought cost $12.75!

I couldn't bring myself to by a twelver of High Life, that's all they had.

Talk about polar opposites!
:mug: I could probably only drink a couple Guiness but I could drink a bunch of Miller High Life. Funny thing though, I prefer to drink Guiness.

Hmm... Should Cheyco cough up $25.50 for eight cans of Guiness or $15.00 for a can of Mountmellick Irish Stout extract? Can anyone help him decide???:tank: :cross:

Well, I had only the Miller High Life. I must have missed the Guinness part.

It did not taste as bland as I would have expected it. Given the fact that it has an FG of ~1.007 it is one of the less watery Bud-like beers. Yet it was still a strange taste, that I didn't care for that much. What makes it taste so much different from a good light lager? Is it the 6-row, the rice or even corn?

I'd guess it's the 6-row that they are using. So far I haven't used it myself (and are not planning to do so).

Kai

I actually had both this past weekend - one MHL in a bottle and several Guinness, in a widget can and on tap.

MHL - not as watery/bad as I recalled, but nothing special or remarkable, either. Straw gold color with little to no hop aroma. Very little hop flavor. No head to speak of. Slight malt profile with a small hint of a 'charcoal' aftertaste. One was all I needed.

Guinness - what can I say - it's a Guinness!:) Dark, slightly ruby color. Creamy off-white head that never completely dissapated. Slight roasted flavor and that distinct Guinness 'tang'. Had a smooth, but not at all heavy, mouthfeel. I'll have another, please!:mug:

Back