American Porter Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know what happened with my notty, it fermented like crazy and then stalled out at 1.025. The other 5 gallons I pitched with cal ale yeast is down to 1.015. What should I do? I was thinking of rousing the cal ale batch and adding a bit to the notty batch, either that or pitching some more hydrated notty.

So Ed.. I fired up your porter recipe... Loved the aroma when i was Brewing and loved the sample i tasted before fermentation. Ended up with an OG of .1080 and this is what it looked like the next day...
IMG00131.JPG
Not sure a blow off tube could of handled this haha. Luckily i did not snap the lid on tight! Cant wait to taste this..

Ohill,
Don't worry, it WILL turn out excellent. I had the exact same results with mine. The second time with a blow-out helped. Oh ya, let this one sit and don't drink it until at least 10 weeks after brewing. Ideal is 3 months.
Enjoy, it is a GREAT recipe.
Sparky

Looks awesome! My wife knows all about those as they happen only when I'm out of town. :D

I have some from May of last year and it still is awesome! It ages well.

haha thanks for the Recipe ED !! I cant wait to try this. I checked the gravity today it has gone from 1.080 to 1.020.. thinking it might be done... going to give it a few days before moving it to the secondary !

I'm thinking about starting out around 60 next time and slowly ramping the temp up to avoid the mess next brew.

Well, I brewed a 3 gallon batch today, my first time scaling down. I wanted to brew a little less just to see if I liked it. I'm not sure what happened but I had a pre-boil grav. of 1.070, and a post-boil OG of 1.090!!!! I added about 1/2 gallon of water to the fermenter, but I have no idea how I hit such a huge OG. I think I'll stick to 5.5 gallon batches from now on.

Just sampled after a week in the fermenter. Gravity was 1.016 (OG was 1.063), and it tastes unbelievable. This one is gonna be a winner.

I brewed this yesterday, but unfortunately my LHBS did not have the Nottingham I was looking for. I asked if they had anything similar in a liquid yeast and was given Wyeast London Ale III 1318. After pitching this in my beer I went online to read about proper fermentation temps and noticed that this yeast didn't seem very similar at all. Does anyone know how the beer will turn out with this? It sounds like it might finish a bit sweeter. If so, should I repitch with some Notty if I can get my hands on some?

Other than this the beer is fermenting away! Awww yeeaahhhh! :ban:

Just brewed a batch of this with a friend of mine last night. It was his second batch, so a nice PM did the trick. Smelt and looked awesome going into the fermenter!

Can anybody opine on what effect boiling the malodextrin for less than the recommended 20 minutes would have on flavor of beer?

Ive done two batches of this, first batch got full twenty minutes. Had too many beer during brewing of second batch and threw in dextin during last 5-10 or so minutes. The gravity was a good bit higher on the second batch too, so I'm trying to discern which was the bigger player.

EdWort,
You killed this one. I brewed 10 gallons the other day day, and it's going fast. For me, it has a great balance between taste and alcohol content. This will definitely be one of my staples from now on. Thanks - Dwain

EdWort,
You killed this one. I brewed 10 gallons the other day day, and it's going fast. For me, it has a great balance between taste and alcohol content. This will definitely be one of my staples from now on. Thanks - Dwain

Thanks. It's a big beer. It makes for a great nightcap.

It also ages well too. I have a batch over year old in a keg. It's almost done.

Time to get the blow off hoses out and brew another. :D

Bottled this today, sample tastes awesome. Not sure what was going on with my hydrometer because the OG was 1.090!!! Ended up getting a new hydrometer and my FG was 1.020.. makes me feel better.

Should have done more than 3 gallons, because I think I ended up with much closer to 2.5!

EdWort: this is one killer recipe. It's been in the keg a week now and it is not going to last long. Nice coffee hint in the finish, very smooth. It even looks pretty.

I ended up getting a SG of 1.063 and a FG of 1.013 after two weeks in the fermenter--rock solid fermentation temps of 65 degrees throughout.

Cracked my first bottle after 2 weeks. Amazing, thanks so much for the recipe. Only regret is only brewing a 3 gallon batch. Thinking of trying to turn this recipe into a smoked porter.

This ferments vigorously, so use a blow off or be prepared to wipe up some beer. :)
Wow! You weren't joking. I brewed this yesterday and it's fermenting like crazy. This is the first time I've used a blowoff tube and boy am I glad I am because I'd have krausen all over my floor by now.

Congratulations in providing me with my first blowoff.

Fortunately, I was fermenting in a SOFC which contained it. It was a nice little surprise to go to the garage and see beer leaking out of the SOFC as I was leaving for work, though. Interestingly enough I was using a blowoff tube which got clogged enough to let her blow. I rinsed it out and put it back in place this morning so we'll see if she blows again today. :D

MOD EDIT

Confirmed that this imageshack link redirects to some malware. Follow it at your risk.

URL="http://img18.imageshack.us/i/00021m.jpg/"]IMG]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1791/00021m.th.jpg[/IMG[/URL

MOD EDIT

Luckily I took a picture. I know it just looks like the glass is overflowing, but the lid blew and it got all over my SOFC. Oh well, better luck next time hopefully :D

Sure. Get about 9 lbs. of Extra Pale LME and steep the rest of the grains at 155 degrees for about 15 minutes in about 2 gallons of water. Top off to 7 gallons with RO water and add the LME and bring to a boil. Add the Maltro Dextrin in the last 15 minutes of the boil. Hop additions stay the same.

I just made this extract version yesterday. The 9# of LME seems like a lot. The cans come as 3.3# and I got 3 of them so that was 9.9#. My OG came out to 1.080!!!! The store did not have Nottingham so I made a starter from some washed Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale that I saved from my last Irish Red. Better bottle and blowoff tube. I started getting a bubble every 6 seconds after just 3 hours in the fermenter. This morning @ 12 hours it was bubbling steady with about 2 inches of krausen in the bottle. :drunk:

Buddy and I just brewed up a partial mash batch of Edwort's Robust Porter.

Partial mash in a bag, boiling 3.75 gals and diluting with 1.5 gals clean water. With my smaller boil it looked like:
6# 2-Row
everything else the same
2# light DME

Took a deep breath through the hop bag of fresh Northern Brewer and ended up basically high as kites for about 10 minutes. Unable to perform basic math.

Mis-read the preboil SG and ended up adding too much DME. Should have done 1.5#, got 1.070 OG.

Pitched onto a big cake of Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire and had a krauesen with 60 mins. Hot diggity!

Going to oak this one for a week after primary.

edit: gerp, repeated self

I just made this extract version yesterday. The 9# of LME seems like a lot. The cans come as 3.3# and I got 3 of them so that was 9.9#. My OG came out to 1.080!!!! The store did not have Nottingham so I made a starter from some washed Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale that I saved from my last Irish Red. Better bottle and blowoff tube. I started getting a bubble every 6 seconds after just 3 hours in the fermenter. This morning @ 12 hours it was bubbling steady with about 2 inches of krausen in the bottle. :drunk:

OK, this has been fermenting for 11 days now at 67 F. The initial activity was ROBUST. Full krausen up to the blow off tube. It bubbled actively for 3 days before slowing down. On day 7 I still had a bubble every 10 seconds or so. The activity has all but stopped now so I checked the gravity. 1.035! Not near as low as I expected. So, am I stuck? I will check the gravity over the next few days but should I do anything? Is rousing the yeast an option at this point? Should I turn up the heat?

I brewed this ag. I sparged a bit too much, and I ended up with around 6 gallons in the fermentor. It is simply amazing. My friends _love_ this beer. I think I am going to be brewing this on a regular basis.

This thing is stuck at 1.032 after 4 weeks in primary. I have roused the yeast and turned up the room heat to 72F. On sunday the 5th, I made a 1000ml starter with 1.030 wort and washed Irish Ale 1084 (same as used for the batch). I pitched it at high krausen. No activity until this morning (36 hours) now I am getting one bubble every 30 seconds. So, I am getting some activity. :ban:

Ed, first what a great recipe. I only made 2 slight tweaks, reducing the black patent by an oz and adding some pale chocolate.

I however could not stop drinking Real Ale's Coffee Porter while this was fermenting.

I just had to get coffee into this. So I researched many threads on many boards and went with the cold brew method.

I coarse ground 8oz of coffee and steeped it overnight with 32 oz water. Filtered and added to the keg. Crashed for 2 days gassed, and it is flying out of the keg.

This is a link to the beans I used.

Buna Bean

I ran into the owner at whole foods, while looking for local coffee. The guy was and is an avid hombrewer, its what drove him to make "craft coffee". The aroma and flavors play beautifully.

Again kudos

[size=+1]Recipe: Morning Wood[/size]
Brewer: CC
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.94 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 40.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.80 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
Code:
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
11 lbs        Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        79.28 %       
1 lbs         Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM)    Grain        7.21 %        
1 lbs         Chocolate (Crisp) (412.0 SRM)             Grain        7.21 %        
8.0 oz        Barley, Flaked (Briess) (1.7 SRM)         Grain        3.60 %        
3.0 oz        Black (Crisp) (680.0 SRM)                 Grain        1.37 %        
2.0 oz        Chocolate Malt (Simpsons) (225.0 SRM)     Grain        0.90 %        
1.0 oz        Roasted Barley (Crisp) (695.0 SRM)        Grain        0.43 %        
1.00 oz       Northern Brewer [8.00 %]  (60 min)        Hops         24.5 IBU      
0.50 oz       Cascade [5.50 %]  (60 min)                Hops         8.4 IBU       
1 Pkgs        Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-)           Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 13.87 lb
Code:
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 4.30 gal of water at 165.4 F    150.0 F

I want to make this , this weekend and my LHBS doesn't have Nottingham. They do have all the safales and I have White Labs #WLP005 (Brittish ale) and a Wyeast Labs #1084 (irish ale) washed in the fridge. Witch do you guys think is best?
Thanks..RK

So, I planned to brew 10g this today. I made a lite rye beer with the Nottingham yeast last week for the yeast cake. I ordered the specialty grain from BMW, and it arrived in the mail. I have a 15g fermenter (which I hope will contain the krousen). What I forgot was that I don't have enough base grain...and that bulk buy isn't arriving for another week! WELL, RDWHAHB, right?

I brewed the recipe (All Grain) a couple of nights ago. 6 hours after pitching the yeast it started going crazy. Two days later it's still going to town..

Pre-Boil Gravity 1.060 - 6.5 gallons
Post Boil Cooled and after pitching yeast - 1.076 - 5.3 gallons

I can't wait to taste this stuff!

Joe

So Ed.. I fired up your porter recipe... Loved the aroma when i was Brewing and loved the sample i tasted before fermentation. Ended up with an OG of .1080 and this is what it looked like the next day...
IMG00131.JPG
Not sure a blow off tube could of handled this haha. Luckily i did not snap the lid on tight! Cant wait to taste this..

I'm thinking about starting out around 60 next time and slowly ramping the temp up to avoid the mess next brew.

Why not just use a blow off tube, forget about it and don't worry about the mess?

Brewed this up this yesterday. Used a new MLT I made from a 75qt cooler (11gal batch). Had trouble setting my mash temp in, over shot initial temp, then cooled down too low with too much ice...eventually with decoction got it up to 150, but the MLT lost more heat then my smaller one, so it finished around 147 after about 90 minutes total mash time. Tossed it in my 15 gal fermenter and pitched around 72* at 930 last night. Saw action in the airlock when I got up this morning. Keeping it at about 60* through fermentation (basement floor) then I'll get it up on a rack until I move to secondary. I'll keep up to date!

All I want to know is where the phuck is Sir ED WORT??? Any of you have a clue?

I'm right phucking here. :D

Busy with a new job trying to make a living.

I did brew 15 gallons of Haus Ale today. I have an agressive brew schedule to fill up the Keezer before hot weather sets in for the summer. It holds 65 gallons.

Here's what I'm shootin for.

10 Robust Porter
20 Haus
10 Hefeweizen
15 Kolsch
10 Wounded Knee IPA

Thanks Ed! This one is fantastic. It's gotta be the closest thing to a commercial example I've brewed. Seems like this one just took care of itself.

Mine ended up with a very light black-licorice flavor to it. Anyone else get that or is it just me?

I partial mashed with as much grain as possible. After 3 weeks in primary, I aged in a new-ish hungarian oak barrel for 48 hours, then bottled.

US 2-Row Malt 6.00 lb 54.1 % 2.3 In Mash/Steeped
US Chocolate Malt 1.00 lb 9.0 % 73.7 In Mash/Steeped
UK Light Crystal 1.00 lb 9.0 % 8.9 In Mash/Steeped
US Flaked Barley 0.50 lb 4.5 % 0.1 In Mash/Steeped
US Rice Hulls 0.50 lb 4.5 % 0.0 In Mash/Steeped
US Black Malt 0.10 lb 0.9 % 10.5 In Mash/Steeped
Extract - Light Dried Malt Extract 2.00 lb 18.0 % 1.3 Start Of Boil

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
German Northern Brewer 9.9 % 1.00 oz 22.8 Bagged Whole Hops 60 Min From End
US Cascade 8.8 % 0.50 oz 5.0 Bagged Whole Hops 15 Min From End

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When
Irish Moss 0.05 oz In Boil
Malto-Dextrine 8.00 oz In Boil

Yeast
Wyeast 1469-West Yorkshire Ale

That's the extract twang. All Grain does not have any licorice notes to it. Just Coffee, chocolate, & malt.

Good to know! It's not strong, I actually kind of like it. Others who're drinking it don't notice the licorice. But they do notice it's an awesome recipe.

I'm drinking one right now. Awesome recipe as usual Ed... although it's pretty boozy. I'm wondering if I can scale down this recipe to a little lower ABV.

Speaking of tasting notes.. I get a little spice on the tongue.. wonder if that's just the alcohol.

Brewed a variation of this last thursday and its probably almst done fermenting. I wanted to use pale chocolate so i replaced the chocolate with the pale chocolate and added 1/4 lb of carafa III special to make up for the color difference. Also used half 2 row and half maris otter and bittered with columbus to 40 ibus.

5.50 lb Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 39.01 %
5.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 39.01 %
1.00 lb Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.09 %
1.00 lb Chocolate (Crisp) (250.0 SRM) Grain 7.09 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (Briess) (1.4 SRM) Grain 3.55 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.77 %
0.25 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 1.77 %
0.10 lb Roasted Barley (Briess) (300.0 SRM) Grain 0.71 %
1.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 41.1 IBU

Back