Bottle Brush too Stiff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daholl01

Reaction score
I just got a kit and brewed my first batch a few days ago, I have a bunch of empty Grolsch bottles that I need to clean out but the bottle cleaning brush that I got with my kit is way too stiff. I can barely get it in and barely get it out (thats what she said) without water flying everywhere.

What techniques do you all use in cleaning your bottles? Should I just get a better brush?

Had the same trouble. I hold a rag over the end of the bottle to act as a guard as I pull the brush out. I also though about trimming the bristles back a bit - but found that if I am careful I don't spray too much about.

Submerging the bottle works, or upon removal covering with a towel.

If you haven't read it already, a soak in a hot solution of OxyClean also works wonders on bottles, even moldy ones. Takes labels off easily too.

Revvy said:
+1 on what Brian said about Oxyclean...Since going with that method I never touch either the bottling brush or carboy one...

So if I use Oxyclean, no scrubbing necessary? If so, that sounds great. My bottles all have labels off, how long a soak to just get them "clean"?

After the soak, I usually give them a quick scrub too if they had crud or mold in them. Others just let them soak. And rinse them good in hot h20 (2x or 3x).

daholl01 said:
So if I use Oxyclean, no scrubbing necessary? If so, that sounds great. My bottles all have labels off, how long a soak to just get them "clean"?

I usually go 45-60 minutes. More wouldn't hurt, but then again, maybe shorter is sufficient.

I've done the towel and removed it while under water trick also.

I've noticed the bristles get softer after you soak the brush in hot water for a few minutes.

I also cut off the ring on the end of the brush and place it in my drill and clean bottles that way...;)

I have never used my bottle brush. Oxiclean is great, but one of those sink-mount bottle sprayers is an indispensable tool. Usually that thing will get bottles clean without needing any chemicals at all, though I do tend to give them a soak in either oxiclean or strong bleach solution when they have fuzzies growing in them, rather than just inert, stuck-on crud.

Back