can skeeter pee be pasteurized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillybilly

Reaction score
I have a friend who can't have sulfites is it possible to bottle skeeter pee let it carb for a couple of days then kill the yeast by heating say to 140 F in water for 20 minutes? Hilly

It would be dangerous to heat a carbed bottle. You would. E asking for a bottle bomb.

If you plan to carbonate, there should be no need to use sulfites, so you should be fine.

I don't trust the method personally, it seems dangerous to me, but there seem to be a lot of folks in the cider section that are doing just this. I think there is a sticky on it in that forum. Check it out.

I think 140 F is too low. I know 20 minutes at 140 is supposed to pasteurize, but the mass of the bottle and contents will take a while to heat up to that temperature. I think they recommend a higher temperature.

I understand people's hesitation about it, but if your carb levels are right and you aren't dumb about its safe. I've done it with sweeter pee and cider

I read the cider forum and am going to try that. I was thinking a very light carb maybe two or three day then pasteurize.

Latest posts

Back