15.5G Keg for Seltzer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCBrewer

Reaction score
I just bought 4 15.5G kegs from a auction up by Austin Texas from a seized storage locker.

Is it possible to use a 15.5G Keg to hold Seltzer water for soda making?

Are there any possible problems due to using a Larger Keg rather than a 5gal Corney?

I figure until I get up to making 10 Gal batches I could use the spare 1/2B keg for soda water.

Suggestions??

My only concern is the fact the Sanke's are only go up to 60psi and the corneys go up to 130 so be careful not to over-pressurize. If you have room to chill and carb a 1/2bbl keg I say go for it.

I was under the impression that 40PSI was the max most people are carbing soda water to....

Nice Haul. Yeah, 40 PSI or so is the usual max. It's just that if you have a liquid and airspace pressurized at 32 degrees, if you let this warm up, the pressure goes a bit higher. To what extent, I'm not sure. Also, if you're using an inline system somehow, I'd question the psi during the input (I think someone said those are set to 100psi internal, which somehow drops down to 30 leaving the unit before a keg. I don't know for sure on that either.

Otherwise, in an environment where you're at 30psi at 32 degrees unchanging, you should be fine.

Back