East Coast Yeast 03 Farmhouse Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supposed to be out again next month or April. I'm eager to get a fresh batch and see how it compares to what I'm repitiching. From all the tropical notes I get and the up to 100% apparent attenuation I'm getting, I'm pretty sure the brett is more of the culture now than in the original blend. I just did a side by side of my ecy03 repitch with new ecy08. I guess 08 is more 'classic' saison, but I like the 03 much better.

Just build your own blend. I suggest WY3726 (Blaugies) and Dupont with a mild brett like trois. You'll get some damn good flavors and incredible attenuation. If you want to get really crazy if you can't get ECY03, this is what I did. Due to the conflicting belief that Dupont is a mixed culture I bought both lab's liquid yeast samples. So 565 and 3724 then I also grew dupont out of a bottle. Then I mixed in the 3726 and some brett trois. Let it rip and I ended up with a nice spicy and fruity saison with 95% apparent attenuation by the time I bottled. The brett in there may take it a bit further. I also added a hop tolerant lacto strain to my mix because I was looking to make the mix as diverse and "old timey" as I could.

So I've got a vial of this stuff on its way to me. It will be my second Brett beer, with my first being a 100% Brett trois pale.

How does the flavor balance out between the spicy saison yeast and the brett culture? I wasn't thrilled with my Brett trois pale...incidentally, it was supposed to be a brett saison, but being 100% brett fermented, there's nothing saison-ish about the beer...just a fruity pale ale.

What kind of recipes are you using that get the most "brett" out of this blend? I've heard using crystal malts and unmalted adjuncts can give the brett something to chow down on long term for more funk.

How long are you letting this sit in primary? I don't really have a time limit, so I'm not against letting it sit in primary for an extended period.

Have you noticed anything unique about ferm temps with this blend?

Anything quirky, anecdotal, or interesting you want to share about ecy03 is welcome!

This doesn't get real funky to me. You will get some pretty kickass attenuation in the long run. The flavor is more musty than horseblanket to my tastes. It makes a good saison though. The first pitch might take a bit to duly attenuate, but the second and third are fairly quick.

This doesn't get real funky to me. You will get some pretty kickass attenuation in the long run. The flavor is more musty than horseblanket to my tastes. It makes a good saison though. The first pitch might take a bit to duly attenuate, but the second and third are fairly quick.

Thanks for the info:mug:

How long have you been primary'ing your ECY03 beers? Is an extended primary a problem with the sacch yeast cake?

Also, will adding some crystal/carapils give the Brett something to work on?

First one was about 4 months. After that the fermentation was 1.5 months and less to reach a comfortable bottling gravity. I wouldn't add any carapils/crystal just mash like 150-152 and you'll have plenty for the brett.

This blend took my 1.060 saison down to 1.010 in 72 hours. Went with mostly belgian pils, a pound of munich, some cane sugar. Hopped with EKG and Saaz. Pitched at 65 and watched it form a small krausen. it was off gassing quite a bit but nothing out of the ordinary. I had a scare with my thermometer reading inaccurately, so when the krausen dropped I wanted to make sure it hadn't quit on me. Getting huge melon, orange, and passion fruit notes currently.

Wow, blast from the past. I actually still have some bottles of this from when I posted back in 2012. I havent had one in about a year but it was pretty minerally.

Back