Turkey fryer kit vs sanke keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erroneous

Reaction score
I'm just looking at my options here, but which would you do? Looks like I can get a bayou classic turkey fryer kit for about $60 shipped, or maybe a $10 sanke keg from CL. I don't have a grinder, but wouldn't mind buying/renting one. If I went with keg then I would have to buy the burner and regulator separately and also wouldn't have a lid without some extra work. I'm leaning towards the keg.

I'd say keggle simply because it likely holds a larger volume than the turkey fryer pot, and you'll probably want that extra capacity in the future.

Bought my bayou classic burner at goodwill for $15 and found a keg for $10. doesn't get much better than that. Check local thrift stores and be patient and you can save a ton.

I went with a turkey fryer kit, and used a converted keg.After my fryer stand hand a meltdown I decided that the turkey fryer was a waste of $40 I could have used on a burner and stand.
192612_208543415828036_100000171382742_978288_4380106_o.jpg

-=Jason=-

I went with a turkey fryer kit, and used a converted keg.After my fryer stand hand a meltdown I decided that the turkey fryer was a waste of $40 I could have used on a burner and stand.
192612_208543415828036_100000171382742_978288_4380106_o.jpg

-=Jason=-

Holy Sh*t, did you turn that up to 11? I have a burner like that one and I had no idea that could happen, used mine now for several 10 gal batches. I need to move up my schedule for building a proper stand. Thats scary stuff there.

one of my commerical brewing buddies has a small electric setup (1.5 bbl) and he dislikes it. He says he develops vegetal flavors he never had before with his propane setup. He got some investors and is upgrading to a 30 bbl steam jacketed setup. any one else noticed this?

I'm planning on going with something like a setup similar to theelectricbrewery.com in the far future. Getting kegs makes sense for that.

BTW, anyone BIAB in a keggle? Suppose I just need to have a large enough bag and tie the top with some rope or whatever to have easy access.

i went with a keggle and have been very happy with it. But you'll also have to get a step bit to drill the hole for the ball valve, install the ball valve. ask some of your buddies/friend if they have a step bit you can borrow since there not cheap. The best thing about a keggle is that you can grow into it as a brewer. If you wanted to brew 10 gallon batches you can.....
You know you almost never hear of some one not happy that they use keggles over brew pots

I'd buy both. Use the Sanke for a BK and the turkey fryer pot for mash HLT.

You'll need a burner either way, and with the turkey fryer, you *should* be all set (neither of my turkey fryer burners are like the one in that picture... )

Yeah thats the one thing about the keggle idea is that I don't have the grinder or a bit to drill into SS and none of my friends would. Need some kinda tool or bit set for cars and they might have it, but I'm the DIY home improvement guy. Maybe I should finally join the local homebrew club. I'm sure someone there would have the tools.

Yeah thats the one thing about the keggle idea is that I don't have the grinder or a bit to drill into SS and none of my friends would. Need some kinda tool or bit set for cars and they might have it, but I'm the DIY home improvement guy. Maybe I should finally join the local homebrew club. I'm sure someone there would have the tools.

There must be a weld shop or tool and die place nearby that could cut it for you. Maybe an autoshop has a plasma cutter.

I built a kal clone with keggles, love it. I have punch and step bit and hole saws if you want borrow them.

I bought my kegs before I had the burners. I was fretting over which burner / stand, etc. to use. Then the electric thing hit me (thanks Pol). By far the best thing I've done, brewing related. Not for everyone though.

Regarding turkey pots, I have one that I never use (except at christmas, filled with peanut oil and a 20# turkey). The keggles are great. And, they are the ONLY way to go for 10g batches. And, I'm not going to get into the advantage of 10g batches, but they make a pipeline a reality.

Yeah, given my robotics hobby I know I want to go electric eventually. I live within a couple miles of a metal fabricator so I might check them out. Just got back with my new keg. Took out the spear and rinsed out that nasty "aged" coors light smell, sat it upside down in my car port. I'll wait until I get the funds for a burner and propane tank before cutting it up.

Electric would be great, but the only 240v outlet in the house is for my dryer. Everything else is on 15 amp 120v circuits so I'd have to add in my own circuit. There's room in my breaker, but still a lot of trouble right now to go electric. I do like the idea of steam. Seems to be efficient though dangerous if done wrong.

Holy Sh*t, did you turn that up to 11? I have a burner like that one and I had no idea that could happen, used mine now for several 10 gal batches. I need to move up my schedule for building a proper stand. Thats scary stuff there.

yeah it was a butt pucker moment for sure when I saw my keggle starting to Gansta Lean, Quick Goat thinking and I make use of 2 ratchet straps to hold it from falling over.

-=Jason=-

Erroneous, I set up my brew stuff just recently (on a real tight budget thanks to SWMBO) if you go with the fryer you get a Aluminum pot (not ideal as it starts reacting with wort) that is also small which means you have to really watch boil overs and no room to go for 10/15 gal batches and a burner that (as shown above) can collapse.

If you go for a keggle you get a SS 15 gallon pot for $10-40 dollars plus a 10 dollar angle grinder. Then take the keg to a welder and get him to TIG weld a nipple on it for you (hint most welders like beer and may do a trade). I love my keggle, burners are cheap but a good SS pot is not and a cheap burner stand is a hazard (as shown above)

Clem

Clementine said:
Erroneous, I set up my brew stuff just recently (on a real tight budget thanks to SWMBO) if you go with the fryer you get a Aluminum pot (not ideal as it starts reacting with wort) that is also small which means you have to really watch boil overs and no room to go for 10/15 gal batches and a burner that (as shown above) can collapse.

If you go for a keggle you get a SS 15 gallon pot for $10-40 dollars plus a 10 dollar angle grinder. Then take the keg to a welder and get him to TIG weld a nipple on it for you (hint most welders like beer and may do a trade). I love my keggle, burners are cheap but a good SS pot is not and a cheap burner stand is a hazard (as shown above)

Clem

Aluminum does not react with the wort and I can't find kegs anywhere. Even if I wanted to spend 100 bucks I can't find one. Not much of a metal worker either so will probably save up 200 bucks and get one already made.

Yeah I just got a brand new Turkey Fryer kit on CL for $25 (using it as my HLT). If you're not in a rush keep an eye out. it's well worth it.

Penrose looks nice, but I'm thinking I can make my keggle for much less. Saw a $15 turkey fryer on CL today but drove out to Kissimee to get that keg for $10. He'd have given my the other for $5 but I don't keep cash on me and only had the $10. Oh well.

BTW, anyone ever have issues with a keg that bulges in the middle instead of being straight walled? Also, any recommendations for burners? If I want room to grow, what kind of BTU range would you recommend for heating 10 gallons in a keggle?

i went with a keggle and have been very happy with it. But you'll also have to get a step bit to drill the hole for the ball valve, install the ball valve. ask some of your buddies/friend if they have a step bit you can borrow since there not cheap. The best thing about a keggle is that you can grow into it as a brewer. If you wanted to brew 10 gallon batches you can.....
You know you almost never hear of some one not happy that they use keggles over brew pots

one can get a step bit pretty cheaply. if you get a nice price on a keg the 20 for the step bit is nothing. and if you have a harbor freight stopping by there is even better

Back