Oat substitution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My LHBS was about 10oz short on flaked oats. I needed 22oz but only had 12oz. Can I substitute the lack of oats with flaked Barely and get similar results?

No. Flaked barley provides body and head retention, while oats provide more of a "slick" mouthfeel, almost creamy. You can use Quaker Quick Oats though instead of flaked oats, and no need to cook them. (Old fashioned oats can be used also, but must be cooked first).

People use anything other than Quaker Instant Oatmeal? :D

But yeah, Quaker Oats is the exact same thing. You can get them even cheaper if you live near a WINCO

So any "instant" oats I can just add to my grain bill? I do live near a Winco and a number of other stores that have bulk goods. If the oats were whole rolled oats and not instant, then they need to be cooked first... Thanks Yooper.

So any "instant" oats I can just add to my grain bill? I do live near a Winco and a number of other stores that have bulk goods. If the oats were whole rolled oats and not instant, then they need to be cooked first... Thanks Yooper.

Not necessarily. "Old Fashioned" oats need to be cooked. Flaked oats do not. The purpose of cooking is to gelatinize the starch so it's accessible to the yeast. Flake oats are flaked by having pressure applied to them. Excess pressure causes heat and thus the starch is gelatinized.

Back