Yeast Experiment: 3333 German Wheat vs. 3068 Weihenstephan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicagobrew

Reaction score
I recently brewed up an 11g batch of extract weizen because I was running low on beer and needed something quick. I split the batch into 2 fermenters and pitched a pack of 3333 in one and a pack of 3068 in the other for a quick experiment. I thought I would share the results for those trying to decide between the two.

Recipe:
10lbs Muntons wheat DME
3.3lbs Muntons wheat LME
1.5oz 5.5%AA Sterling - 60mins
0.5oz 5.5%AA Sterling - 15mins

OG: 1.050
FG: 1.010
ABV: 5.21%
IBU: 14.5

Boiled 75 mins
No Fining
Fermented 2.5 weeks at 59-63F, no secondary
Bottled with 3/4 cup corn sugar per batch

Results:
Despite Wyeast suggesting that these are basically the same strains (except for better flocculation in the 3333), there are some very noticeable differences. They both make a good weizen, but the ester/phenol balance isn't quite right in the 3068. Even with the cold ferment temp it is way too skewed towards the banana. I expected to get the opposite because of the temp. As each batch was pitched at exactly the same rate (1 pack/batch and the mfg. date for each was within a day or so), I can confidently say that it's the difference in the strain and not something else.

The 3333, by contrast, has a very good banana/clove balance. I like a good deal of the banana in my weizen, but this is the better of the 2 batches. Besides just the balance, I think the ester/phenol levels are a little lower with this strain which allows some of the wheat to come out. In the 3068, the beer is totally dominated by the esters and you miss out on the nice wheat notes. I can't imagine what this thing would taste like if you fermented it at 70F.

I hope that helps someone out there trying to decide which strain to use in a weizen this summer. Cheers.

I agree. It's been a while since I used either strain, but I always thought 3068 was a tad 'weak' when compared to 3333. I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers, but when I brew one, I go for 3333 over 3068.

Back