Got a Gott -- AG here I come!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyGuy

Reaction score
Well, after 2 months of searching, I finally found a decent 10 gallon cooler. After trying all (and I mean ALL) the typical places in Calgary, I finally spotted three brand new (although dusty) 10 gallon Rubbermaid beverage coolers in my local grocery store, of all places. The clerk couldn't even find a price for them, so I spoke to the manager, and he just wanted to get rid of them, so gave one to me for $35. Woohoo! (The only other store in Calgary that had these wanted over $85 for one!)

Anyways, I have my grain order in, bought a big pot, am completing my SS braid and ball valve attachment right now, and should be ready to brew AG soon! I think my first attempt will be a porter -- my favourite style, and hard to find decent commercial ones up here.

Thanks again to everyone on this site for sharing all the information on how easy this can be. I probably would neverr have even contemplated AG brewing if you guys hadn't educated me on MLT design, SS braids, batch sparging, etc. Cheers! :D

FWIW, The SS braid is OK for batch sparging, but I highly recommend a SS false bottom if you're going to fly. Congrats! Have Fun! Make Beer!:mug: Ev

Yeah, I paid $40 for my 5 gallon Igloo at Crappy Tire a couple of years ago.
That's a great price.
I love a great porter also. One of our club members brought me down a Mill
St. coffee porter last week on a visit (made in TO) and I found that to be a great porter.

I got my igloo Gott just last week at Home Depot for $19. I would think they would be about that price at any Home Depot.

Cool. Nice work.

7346-1_All_Parts_r.jpg

When you gonna use it?

So let me be sure I understand this correctly...

You spend like $30 to $100 on a cooler and some doodads...

And then you can make 5 gallon batches of awesome beer for like less than $15??!!!! :ban:

Toot,

All grain is awsome and you can build a set up dead cheap, have a look at the other thread I've posted in.

If you consider going electric you can do it with 3 plastic pails, a couple of taps a manifold and an heating element.

The Aussies are working on a one pot brew with a bag method which seems to give good results.

Toot said:
So let me be sure I understand this correctly...

You spend like $30 to $100 on a cooler and some doodads...

And then you can make 5 gallon batches of awesome beer for like less than $15??!!!! :ban:

I spent $100 (more like $85 plus shipping) on mine (it was a 10 gallon cooler, already converted and had a stainless steel false bottom) and it works great! I batch sparge, so I don't have to use a lauter tun, but maybe someday I'll buy a 5 gallon and a fly arm and then fly sparge.

I spent around $150 for my dual cooler AG setup and save between $15-$20 per batch. I'll have my equipment paid for in about 8 batches.

Well worth it and your quality goes up too!

:mug:

orfy said:
Cool. Nice work.

When you gonna use it?

Can't try it this weekend, but I was hoping that next weekend I could do up a batch of Cheesefood's CCA. I am hoping he will post his interpretation of the all-grain recipe! (for authenticity's sake, of course)

Back