Question with a small yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snevey

Reaction score
I have an LD Carlson 2 oz bag of "Yeast Starter" which is probably just 2 oz of extra light DME. I have a one liter flask/beaker and no stir plate. I'll make due for now without a stir plate (waiting for my stir bar).

But, what I'm wandering is if this info is correct:

need a gravity of 1.040

Beer Smith says:

.14 gal (2.24 cups)
2 OZ of DME

Does this sound alright? I'm pitching White Labs California Ale WLP00

Any info you have will be appreciated!!! BeerSmith never lies, right? :)

Not exactly sure what you're saying but you need a half cup of DME to 2 cups water. Don't know what that comes out to in oz's.

Not exactly sure what you're saying but you need a half cup of DME to 2 cups water. Don't know what that comes out to in oz's.

I don't know what 2 oz of DME works out to be in cups... I'll see if I can measure that out though!

I think 2 oz. DME works. It might be slightly short of the usual proportions.

I've never figured out the weight to volume ratio of DME myself, but seen people say ~4 cups per pound. That would mean 1/2 cup (which is about what you need for 2+ cups) is roughly 2 oz.

I'm not sure on the conversion either but that sounds good to me ha. I'll consult "how to brew" later. Palmer will know!

I put the 2 OZ of DME in a 1/2 dry measuring cup and it was a little shy of the top. 2.5 OZ would probably be a 1/2 cup. I'll take that. It should still wake up the yeasties to pitch tomorrow night, Saturday night, or Sunday afternoon. We'll see how it looks as those days come around...

Latest posts

Back