infared thermometer for brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never used one but it seems logical. No contact with the wort/beer and take quick measurements. The only thing I wonder about is accuracy and does it take readings from only the surface. I simply have never used one but it seems like a rockin idea.

It comes with holster, how can you not get it?!?!

But seriously, I am kind of curious if it only takes surface readings and its accuracy. Somebody here must have experience with these things

These thermometers are not very useful for brewing. The problem is that they read the temperature of a surface. Steam and vapor will interfere with readings as will reflective surfaces. Most of the IF thermometers aren't very precise. I bought one thinking it might be a good way to measure mash temps, which it is not. I have found a few uses for it though. I check the wort temp coming out of my CF chiller and in the fermenter as it fills. Works well for that purpose. I also use it to check my grain temperature before doughing in so I can figure out my strike water temperature. They are fast and convenient for some tasks, but not for all.

The accuracy is usually about +/- 2%. Not great, but close enough for some measurements.

I have an industrial infra-red. I use it to check the temp when chilling, determining how close i am to a boil etc. I use it to get a general idea but not for mash temps. It differs a degree or two from my thermocouple usually.

See I knew there a lot more people here smarter than me. Real world experience speaks volumes which is why this forum rocks.

I use one at work and I have found that it doesn't measure moving liquid very well. The temp can be off by quite a bit (I have seen around 15*f differences), and they vary depending on the distance you are from the item being measured.

They are handy for some automotive trouble shooting. You can quickly and easily find a misfiring cylinder as the head near that spark plug will be cooler. Don't know if it would register hot girls or not, but I can usually handle that visually no problem.

See I knew there a lot more people here smarter than me. Real world experience speaks volumes which is why this forum rocks.

I don't know who authored this saying, but it is an elemental truth:

"Nobody knows more than all of us"

Makes me smile every time I think of it!

Don't know if it would register hot girls or not, but I can usually handle that visually no problem.

Keep that skill sharp. It pays vast dividends.

I don't know who authored this saying, but it is an elemental truth:

"Nobody knows more than all of us"

Makes me smile every time I think of it!

Similar to the saying that "steel sharpens steel". That's right we are all steel here so share the knowledge.

I use one to check what temps my beers are fermenting at. Seems to work good. Definitely a surface temp (in my case the surface of my fermentor). I would not expect it works well for mashing & other more precise activities.
Jeff

I have used one to average the side of the mash kettle and it seems to be accurate to the thermometer once averaged. The problem I find is the temp differs from top to bottom of the mash, making it a pain to get actual temp. I will stick to my thermometer. The boil I'm not to concerned with, when it boils the clock starts.

I have two Infrared digital themometers and they don't work very well for brewing other than measuring the carboy temps during fermentation. For that, they're spot on accurate. I've tried them for other temp measurements and they just don't give accurate reading. Good Luck.

Occasionally use mine for brewing, but as others have said not super accurate in most cases. Good for side of fermenter to double check temp probe. I use it all the time for testing the temp of my pizza baking stones. Works well with dogs & especially cats who love to chase the red dot.

Back