Simple stout recipie? Critiques? Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mindcrime

Reaction score
I'm going to brew up my first non kit stout this weekend. I cobbled the recipie together after checking out a bunch of em in the stout section here.

I'm not shooting for a clone of anything, just a relatively simple, low gravity, dry stout.

Heres the recipie. Let me know if I'm off base anywhere.

Malt Extract:
6 lbs Pale LME

Steeping Grains (steeped at 155 for 30 minutes in 2 gals, sparged with 1 gal)
1 lb Roasted Barley
8 oz Flaked Barley
10 oz Crystal 60L

Hops:

2.5 oz EK Goldings @ 60
.5 oz EK Goldings @ 15

Yeast:

Thinking White Labs Irish Ale Yeast (if I get to the LHBS today to get a starter going)

OR

US-05 (If I dont get there till Saturday)

3 week primary, 3 week bottle conditioning.

Where did I screw up?
Where can I tweak to make this a better beer?

You didn't screw up anywhere, really. I have a few observations, but you can tell me to pound sand if you like. ;)

First, all you get from steeping flaked barley is haze. It must be mashed to get what you need for stout. I'd delete it; it'll be fine without it.

Second, I find that flavor/aroma hops don't add anything to stout. You do need a good smack of bitterness (1:1 BU:GU ratio). Let the flavors come from the roasted barley and other grains.

Third, Irish Ale yeast is about the worst choice for stout I can possibly imagine. Stout needs to finish drier than Irish Ale yeast will permit. Get a better-attenuating yeast. Heck, I always use Nottingham! S-05 will work wonderfully if fermented relatively cool. Save the Irish Ale for an Irish Red or some other ale that's supposed to be malty-sweet. If you do choose Irish Ale, delete the Crystal 60; it'll finish too sweet otherwise.

Cheers!

Bob

I use WLP004 for my Sweet Stout recipe, and like NQ3X stated the attenuation is relatively low for a dry stout, it isn't uncommon for me to get as low as a 65-66% attenuation.. Try WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast it has a 70-80% attenuation, similar to WLP001. To add to that, it is a fast fermenter and the optimum fermentation temps are 65-70F.

Thanks for the insight!

I had included the Flaked Barley based on some other info that I read that basically said it would provide a thicker, more 'stouty' mouthfeel. Then again, the crystal would probably help that along as well, so perhaps I really just dont need it. I'll delete that from the recipie, I think. I wasn't completely sold on that part in any case.

Good to know about the irish ale yeast, I had seen it mentioned frequently in other stout recipies. Skipping that, sticking with s-05. Haven't been thrilled with notty of late, gonna go with s-05 for a bit.

I'll think about the hop schedule a bit. Maybe move that last .5 oz back to the 60 minute mark.

Thanks again folks!

Maybe replace that barley with some chocolate malt, and move your hops back to 30 minutes. Also, IMO haze really won't be an issue in a stout, so flaked barley, flaked oats or wheat will be okay if you want that extra mouthfeel.

Final recipie

6 lbs LME
1 lb roasted barley
10 oz Crystal 60
2 oz american chocolate malt
3 oz US Golding (LHBS out of EK) at 60 minutes
S-05 yeast, rehydrated

Thanks for your input, I'm sure the beer will benifit!

Back