Brew Kettle Filter basket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sitting here thinking about false bottoms, and I wonder if anyone has ever thought about using a basket made of mesh instead. The wort would circulate freely, but when you are done boiling, you can lift the basket up out of the wort and carry off all of the extra hops bits and other particulate matter.

So it's sort of like a false bottom, but different. I had thought of trying to make one but SS mesh is a bit pricey at McMaster-Carr.

I think it would work, but my second thoughts are telling me that i'm missing some clearly practical reason why this is stupid...

I'm sitting here thinking about false bottoms, and I wonder if anyone has ever thought about using a basket made of mesh instead. The wort would circulate freely, but when you are done boiling, you can lift the basket up out of the wort and carry off all of the extra hops bits and other particulate matter.

So it's sort of like a false bottom, but different. I had thought of trying to make one but SS mesh is a bit pricey at McMaster-Carr.

I think it would work, but my second thoughts are telling me that i'm missing some clearly practical reason why this is stupid...

I use this.
MVC-828F.JPG

I've thought the same idea and if I could solder or braze SS easily I would make one. Stitching it with SS wire is an option but I promised myself after making a hop stopper to never do it again. It would also work for the BIAB method, Brew in a Basket. There are SS mesh baskets used in industrial liquid filtering but the diameters seem to be 7" or so and would be too small for this purpose.

The hop bag design in the second post is the way to go. There are a couple threads here, and the cheapest version can be built for less than 5 bucks not including the price of the mesh bags.

Back