Heat wave...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireater

Reaction score
We have record temps in So Cal...I have (3) 5 gal batches that have been in primary for 10 days...
The all show 72 deg...Does temp become less important as fermentation stops and time goes on...?

Less important? I believe for your concerns, yes if and only if fermentation has completed. 10 days in primary and they may not be done you know...Temperature control during fermentation is very important since high temps produce off flavors and even low temps can create completely different character profiles. You can be a little more giving with the temps after fermentation is completely over--not drastic swings or anything above the low to mid 70's however.

So, in conclusion i would try to get those batches back to their fermentation temp especially since it has only been 10 days unless you know fermentation is completely over.

my noobie .02

You should be fine. Most likely after 10 days fermentation is complete. Temperature becomes less important as times goes by. Aging at 72* will not hurt anything.

Temperature doesn't become less important, but it's beneficial to raise the temperature as fermentation dies down to reach maximum attenuation and processing of fermentation by-products. In that respect, you're fine.

But you'll probably want to get yourself one of these to ensure that you want have any issues with temperature swings in future batches:

Temperature doesn't become less important, but it's beneficial to raise the temperature as fermentation dies down to reach maximum attenuation and processing of fermentation by-products. In that respect, you're fine.

I'll rephrase my statement. For a cleaner tasting beer, keeping the temperature at the lower end of the range becomes less important as time goes by.

It seems to me that moving the fermenters around would be better if they were in secondary...
I could then throw all 3 in the bath tub with water and some ice...I have a rubbermaid ice bath...but not 3...
I was waiting for my pressure cooker to arrive to secondary so I could harvest and wash the yeast...
It is 90deg inside my mobile home now...

Similar situation up in Northern California for the next few days. I put a big bucket of ice packs with a fan blowing the air coming off it straight at my three fermenters. Hopefully, it's enough. The youngest beer of the bunch is about 8 days old, but activity slowed down considerably a few days ago. So, I hope I'm going to be okay.

Back