Removing the pit-cock from my regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recordsmith

Reaction score
Hello all,

Another in a long line of stupid questions. I am setting up a portable keg gasser, and I need to get the CO2 inlet pipe out. it is screwed in but it is sealed with some stuff. Anyone done this and know a technique to get this off? Thanks
Jon

The "stuff" sealing it is most likely teflon tape or plumber's tape and it will come off when you get the pipe out. I use two adjustable crescent wrenches, one on the pipe and the other on the regulator assembly. Just make sure that your wrench isn't on or near a guage as you might break it when you start to twist. Finally, remember the threads are reverse or left handed, so you are "tightening" to loosen.

You'll need to reapply the teflon tape before reassembling to reseal. It's about $.89 at a hardware store.

I hope this helps!

:mug:

If it is some hard grey stuff, I'd like to know the answer as well. I destroyed one regulator trying to get the inlet pipe out, so I could gang two regulators. The case cracked before the joint would release! I think it's Bondo or JB Weld. The other regulator used Teflon tape and came apart without a problem.

Well guys I am not sure what the "stuff" is. It is not teflon tape. I think that it is lock tight. I am trying some sol vents then some heat and finally making a grove in the pipe for a box wrench. I am a little po'd because I was not paying attention when i bought it and I really don't want go to bed with a regulator that cost me 50 bucks.

I guess i could go get a new one with teflon tape and ebay this other one. Maybe i will do that... I am going to see if the solvent works first.

Jon

...or it could be called a pip-cock if you have any great expectations for it...

:cross:

Back