New Dry Wheat Yeast - WB-06 vs Munich Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Safale WB-06 vs Danstar Munich Wheat... what say ye?

Well these have been out for a bit now and I thought I'd ask those that have used them what results they've achieved with them. Of particular interest to me is how either of these performed against existing liquid yeast in producing "German" character in wheat/weizen bier?

Schlante,
Phillip

I think that this has been discussed b4.

I have tried the Munich yeast. Definately not what you look for in a weizen yeast. Still made a good beer, just not what was expected.

I tried the WB-06. It's sort of fine, but it's boring as hell and contributes very little flavor. I didn't think it was much different from US-05. Liquid yeast would certainly kick its ass.

I'm sure there's a more informative thread about this already out there - maybe try a search to see if you can find it. Let us know what you go with. :mug:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=57420

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=67804

The 2nd one is the link I was trying to find - it's FSR402's side-by-side of both of the strains in question.

End result: Danstar is passable but not a Hefe at all, just a clean wheat. The Fermentis... "This yeast sucks. Does not produce anything that I would want to do again. No heffe characteristics and what it does produce is not all that good." followed by a few weeks later, "Well my wife floated the keg with the Danstar in 3 weeks. I'm still working on the Fermentis. I even added 2oz of Blueberry extract to see if it would make it any better. It helped but not a lot."

He even rebrewed with the Danstar again, for a friend.

I haven't tried the Danstar, but just split a 10 gallon batch, 1 with WB-06 and 1 with Wyeast 3068. I thought I would do a test and save a few bucks, but never again!!!

Hands down the 3068 was by far superior over the WB-06!!!!!

Thanks all for the replies. When I did a search I found the top post Chriso posted, but not the bottom, which is really detailed.

It'd be interesting to know that since the clove and banana esters don't develop at normal ferm temps if they might come through at higher temps...

Schlante,
Phillip

Surprised at so many negative comments. My friends & I use Danstar Munich often for Bavarian Hefeweizens (using Northern Brewer's recipe or Austin Homebrew's 'Weihenstephan' clone recipe), and have also reused the cakes in a fermenter immediately after bottling / brewing same day w/ great results. I didn't notice any improved flavor for my tastes using Wyeast Weihenstephan liquid yeast (made starters each time, doubling or more the quantity). I'm trying some Fermentis WB-06 right now, but can't recall if I've tasted any from it yet, and definitely never tasted WB06 & Danstar Munich them side by side. I LOVE Fermentis US-05 and 04 for IPAs.

@ musicbymark, these negative comments were almost 7 years ago. The thread was dead until you revived it.
That said, I think most here will chime in and say that they prefer Weihenstephan/WY3068. I've made decent wheat beers with Munich and WB-06, but not as good as the Weihenstephan ones.
Many under pitch this yeast, not making starters for a normal gravity batch or bumping up the gravity or volume a little bit to stress the yeast and get more flavorful beers. Try using it without a starter on a 1.050-1.070 hefeweizen sometime and see what you think.
Brew what you enjoy, though, and if you prefer Danstar Munich or WB-06 keep using them. :)

Back