Pre-soaking Whole Hops in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killerhertz

Reaction score
Do any of you pre-soak your whole hops with water in secondary?

Here are my newbie observations about using whole dry hops:

1) I lose some precious beer when racking from secondary.

2) They also tend to float on top, which forces me to shake the thing vigorously to get them all wet,which could possibly lead to oxidation = bad?

3) They're a pain to get from the package into the carboy without causing a mess, possibly losing some.

Thoughts?

Do any of you pre-soak your whole hops with water in secondary?

Here are my newbie observations about using whole dry hops:

1) I lose some precious beer when racking from secondary.

2) They also tend to float on top, which forces me to shake the thing vigorously to get them all wet,which could possibly lead to oxidation = bad?

3) They're a pain to get from the package into the carboy without causing a mess, possibly losing some.

Thoughts?

1. when you know you will be dryhopping make the batch a little larger so the loss will not matter.

2. DO NOT SHAKE..... They will in time all be wet. RELAX...

3. Don't use a funnel, I have found it's easier to just dump them thru the carboy neck a little at a time.
Do this before racking and it will help with number 2

2. put sanitized marbles, or stainless steel ball bearings (big-uns) in a hop bag when you dry hop. that will sink em and get them wet faster.

2. put sanitized marbles, or stainless steel ball bearings (big-uns) in a hop bag when you dry hop. that will sink em and get them wet faster.

I did this and I had an incredibly difficult time getting them out. Maybe I put too many...

I'll just stick to plopping in bits at a time before racking and increase my boils by half a gallon.

Back