Adjusting an all-grain with Extract addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohad

Reaction score
I made a barley wine recipe using 7kg malt to make 15 liters. I wanted to get to OG=1.100
Unfortunately, I got to only 1.091 with 13 liters.
I want to do some adjustments with some extract, but all I have is Munton Wheat (its 50/50 wheat and barley)
I've calculated that if I add 600g of this LME with 2 liters, I'll get to 15 liters at 1.091. On top of that I want to add 200g of sugar and 200g of "Dibs" (Date syrup - tastes like very dark honey and dark fruit). this should get me to 1.100.

How does this sound to you guys?
I'm afraid its too much wheat LME, I don't want it to be cloudy...

Your opinions please!

I think in pounds, so allow me to convert. You are considering adding roughly 1.3 pounds of 50/50 wheat LME to your barleywine wort. I do not think you have much to worry about for clarity, especially with the length of time a barleywine conditions. I also do not think you have to worry about that little amount of wheat affecting your flavor and aroma profiles.

That said, though, I hate jury-rigging recipes at the last moment just to reach some target volume and gravity. I would rather forgo the other two liters and work with the wort you got from the mash, adjusting the sugar and date syrup amounts accordingly.

TL

Back