Calling all Scotch drinkers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
First off, I tried Scotch/Scottish whiskey several years ago (long before brewing) and didn't care for it. It was hot and I didn't care for the flavor. I don't remember (exactly) what it was, but I think it was some GlenLivet (could have been GlenFiddish though).

Now, I'm brewing UK styles and want to soak some oak cubes in some good Scotch/Scotch whiskey. My problem is, I really don't know which one to get. I'd like to give it a try again, but don't want a repeat of last time. I don't mind spending the money it takes to get something great, as long as I KNOW I'll be getting something worth the expense.

So, any out there that drink the stuff, and I'm not talking about the cheap stuff either, chime in. What do you drink, how do you drink it, if neat, how does it compare with others, etc...

Laphroaig is great, but has an aftertaste that would be really bad in beer. Actually so many scotches have a smoky or pat moss type flavor that I think wouldn't pair well. Why not go with bourbon? Glenlivet is smoother with almost a sweet aftertaste. That might be what you want. I'm a big fan of scotch, by unless you're going for a rauchbeir I don't know about the flavor. What are you making?

Sorry, I've been talking about single barrel stuff, not blends. Blends tend to be a lot more subtle.

I'm looking for something to pair with the brew that's also from the UK. All my grains, hops, and yeast come from there. It just seems wrong, to me, to use US whiskey/bourbon in such a batch.

What age Glenlivet are you talking about??

There's no doubt about it ... Laphroaig.

Great smoky flavor ... I think it would work great.

The regular 12 year. all single barrel scotches are from the UK (specifically Scotland). All scotch is broken down by the area it's made in Laphroaig is from Islay. I find all scotch from that region strong in flavor. Speyside or highland regions by contrast taste much different. Glengoyne is a highland and is fantastic. if you don't plan on drinking the rest of the bottle on the rocks don't buy anything too old. As I said Laphroaig is great but about80 bucks a bottle. Not worth going out and getting something 30 years old or anything like that.

Which age Laphroaig??

What I saw in the special section at the store includes:
Glenfiddish 15 18 21
Glengrant 10 16
Glenlivet 15
Ardbey 10
Cardhu 12
Balvenie (Madeira?) 17

I think there might be a couple more there, like Johnny Walker, but I'd have to either go back, or email/call the store later.

I think my primary concern is getting something that I might actually be able to drink, but can also use it in my bigger UK recipes (all my stuff qualities :D)... I'm planning a BABW (Big Assed Barley Wine) to be brewed soon after I've moved. When it's ready for oak, I'd like to soak the cubes in this too.

BTW, for drinking I already have the soapstone cubes that I can freeze/chill so that I won't dilute the scotch while drinking it. I also picked up some soapstone glasses (small) that can be frozen for use.

I know that when I drink my own mead, that I chill first, it changes as it warms up. From rather sharp right from the fridge, to damned great as it reaches red wine drinking temperatures. When it hits about 60F, you just want to slug it down. At 18%, you don't do too many of those (if you're driving). :D I would expect something similar with a high grade scotch.
Also, I don't mind paying more for something that I have a higher chance of enjoying... I just wish there was a place I could go, near me, to sample the different scotch that's available. :(

If it was me (but I wouldn't because I love my scotch) I would go with Glenlivet French Oak or Nadurra (cask strength).

I am working on some Glenlivet 18, at room temp but cut with a few drops of distilled water. I feel the addition of the small amount of water opens the Scotch up a little.

I have also really enjoyed the 16 to 19 year old range (they use vintages rather than strict ages) from Glenrothes.

Next up for me is a bottle of Glenlivet 21 and a bottle of Utopias 2011.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

I use Hungarian oak cubes in my beers. I have a packet of spirals, but not sure when I'll use those. I have over a pound of the Hungarian cubes though. I prefer them since they're not nearly as harsh as either French, or the American oak. They're also medium toast.

I'm just spectating here. Watching for scotch recomendations. But this was the conversation with my wife.

I'm thinking of gettiing some scotch.
You just want to be that guy who has scotch on hand.
No. I'm gonna drink it.
I've never known you, ever, to drink scotch.
Well, I haven't.
Right. You just want it.
I'm gonna drink it. All. At once.
Okay. When you do, drink it in the tub, so when you puke, you can just rinse off with the hose.

Then it got weird. People peeing on people and what the cats licks.

It got weird AFTER that first exchange??? :eek: :drunk:

I'm still trying to narrow it down to which to seriously look at... From what I've read online (at each maker's site) I'm probably looking at something that's at least 15 years old. Maybe the Laphroaig 18 or 25 year... I'd like to find some good info on Cardhu just to see how it compares.

If it was me (but I wouldn't because I love my scotch) I would go with Glenlivet French Oak or Nadurra (cask strength).

I am working on some Glenlivet 18, at room temp but cut with a few drops of distilled water. I feel the addition of the small amount of water opens the Scotch up a little.

I have also really enjoyed the 16 to 19 year old range (they use vintages rather than strict ages) from Glenrothes.

Next up for me is a bottle of Glenlivet 21 and a bottle of Utopias 2011.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

+1 on the Glenlivet French Oak as a good suggestion for you... It is super smooth and not "hot" at all IMO. The Laphroaig is really peat-y with a smoky earthy flavor... Not sure I would recommend that one.

I also think the Balvenie Doublewood might be a good choice. Another smooth scotch that is a little more approachable.

Before you commit to Laphroaig in a beer you really need to taste it. That peat moss flavor isn't for everybody.

I've only been drinking scotch for a year, so I haven't had a chance to try a tremendous amount of scotches, especially since beer is usually my drink of choice. I usually drink it neat. Sometimes I add a small amount of water. Blended scotch is fine to put on the rocks but I usually just let it all melt. I really like Macallan 12 as a single malt but JW Black is my go to blended scotch. Dewars white label is a decent blended scotch, too, IMO.

A halfway decent liquor store should sell several of the blended and lower and mid-priced single malts in those small bottles. I've seen Glenlivet 12 and 15, Macallan, etc. in small bottles. Not the cheapest stuff. That would be an easy way for you to try out different scotches and see which, if any, you like without committing to a $30 or $50 bottle of each. A small bottle or two is probably enough for soaking your oak.

As far as your beer goes, it really depends on what flavor you're trying to bring from the scotch to your beer. Are you trying to get that earthy peat smoke? Oak flavors? The malt flavors? That's really going to determine what kind of scotch you choose. If you want that peat smoke flavor, an islay is a must. If you just want the malt flavor from the scotch -- since you're going to get oak flavor from the actual oak you're adding -- then a quality blended scotch is good enough. If you are trying to get some of those fantastic oak flavors then you need to go single malt.

The problem with using an older, single malt scotch is all the special flavor is coming from age and the oak but then you're going to cover that up with young oak flavor. The flavor you're going to get from the oak cubes will probably overwhelm the flavors coming off the scotch unless you dump a lot of scotch in the beer. If you're adding oak cubes, I would just use a blended scotch. If you want the flavor of the oak from the scotch then just add the scotch.

+1 on the Glenlivet French Oak as a good suggestion for you... It is super smooth and not "hot" at all IMO. The Laphroaig is really peat-y with a smoky earthy flavor... Not sure I would recommend that one.

I also think the Balvenie Doublewood might be a good choice. Another smooth scotch that is a little more approachable.

+1 i would stay away from Laphroaig. Glenlivet French is great and would pair nicely IMO

I also really like Macallan 12 or 15

I'm a huge fan of Laphroaig, but before I started with that, I liked Cragganmore. You could try one. It's a Speyside.

I have a hard time convincing myself that you'd actually be able to taste the difference between a 12 year or 15 year or a cask strength or one that's finished in french oak once you've gotten done fermenting and aging with your oak cubes. There's only so much flavor they can impart.

Not to mention the actual oak you're using is going to change the character of any spirit you do finally decide to use. My point is those spirits on their own are all fantastic and I'm actually a fan on every one that has been mentioned except cardhu (never seen it here in vegas) but, the defining characteristics between them besides the peat character of the Islay scotches are so subtle that adding anything to them besides an icecube or a splash of water would just make it rhetorical. Or something to brag about.

I'd still go with the Glenlivet though, it's my standby when I'm not in the mood for something special. Plus it's affordable.

Have a look at the list of BrewDog's "Paradox" series:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16315/?view=beers&show=arc

I'm a huge fan of Laphroaig, but before I started with that, I liked Cragganmore. You could try one. It's a Speyside.

Speyside looks pretty promising
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16315/41680

BrewDog BrewSheet

ABV: 15%
Malts: Marris Otter, Dark Crystal, Caramalt, Chocolate Malt, Roast Barley
Hops: Galena, Bramling Cross
Twist: Aged in Jura Whisky casks for 9 months
http://www.brewdog.com/product/paradox-jura

Personally I love my scotches rich and smokey so I typically choose from the Islay region. My favorate scotch is Lagavulin 16 year old. My suggestion to you is google scotches by region and get a feel of what regional flavors you are looking to pair with your beer. You mentioned your motivation being that you didn't want to add an american burbon or whisky to your UK beer, have you considered maybe an Irish whiskey? if you want to be strict to UK find something distilled in northern Ireland like bushmills or something.

Which age Laphroaig??

In the interest of being frugal, if you're going to go with Laphroaig - I'd say just go with the Laphroaig 10yr.

The smoky peaty flavor strikes me as one of those tastes that are complimentary to beer.

Not to get too far out on a limb here, but there's a whole group of complimentary flavors (NOT that I'd put them all *in* beer) - the group might include bouillon, tomato juice, clam juice, worcestershire, tabasco, some wines, salt, vegemite, coffee, bitters, some peppers, chocolate ... and I'd include smoky Laphroaig scotch whisky.
Whether it goes well in the beer would need to be answered.

You might consider calling around to upscale bars to find one that has Laphroaig and try a shot there. While not as expensive as a bottle, bring your credit references anyway ... the stuff ain't cheap by the shot.

I'm starting to think booze is more expensive the closer to the east coast you get. What kind of taxes are they hitting you guys with? I want to say I can get Laphroaig 10yr for about $28 a bottle here.

I'm starting to think booze is more expensive the closer to the east coast you get. What kind of taxes are they hitting you guys with? I want to say I can get Laphroaig 10yr for about $28 a bottle here.

holy balls that's cheap

$49.99 for a fifth of 10yr. in the Detroit area

rip me liver out it's enough to drive you to drink.

I'm a fan of scotch. My top 2 are Lagavulin 18 and Laphroaig Quarter cask. If you are new to scotch i would start with the Glenlivet 12, its mellow and smooth, or go with one of the blends as they tend to be mellow as well. The Laphroaig quarter cask has a strong peety smokey earthy bite and the Lagavulin 18 has it as well but is more refined, more of the sharpness aged out. Soaking some oak cubes in the Laphroaig 10 yr is probably the way i would go if you're looking to impart some of that flavor into your beer.

Laphroaig Scotch Single Malt 10 Year 750ml
Laphroaig 10 Year Old is an all-malt Scotch ... more
Sku: 21450
$69.19

Gotta love the east coast. The 18 year is $111

Talisker is one of my favorites. Altho it is owned by the big bad Diageo

Honestly, JW Black is a good drinking scotch. good one to get started. Laga/Laphroaig might a bit too overwhelming, and it is definitively just one piece of the big scotch puzzle. Macallan is pretty good, neural, malt forward, no peat. depends on what you're looking for.

I did a beer that I wanted to be like drinking a stout with a shot of scotch. I just used a little peat smoked malt and then oaked it. That might be a his place to start.

Laphroaig Scotch Single Malt 10 Year 750ml
Laphroaig 10 Year Old is an all-malt Scotch ... more
Sku: 21450
$69.19

Gotta love the east coast. The 18 year is $111

Yea, I'm paying something along the lines of 60-some odd dollars for mine.

No ones mentioned one of my faves... Glenmorangie. It is usually pretty cost effective. Has a solid citrus/oak character. I am not sure I would want to use scotch in a beer. It is my understanding that liquors are used in beers to get more of the extracted flavors from the wood itself. So you should really have certain flavors you are trying to extract and then determine if that liquor is going to best give you those flavors or if another medium should be used

Went to the same store again on Saturday and talked with the man who knows more about Scotch... Ended up getting a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood as well as a smaller bottle of The Macallen 12 year old... I'm thinking of sampling them over the next few weeks in different ways to get a better understanding. I have the soapstone cubes in the freezer, some good glasses to pour into, and some ice in case I want to try it that way too. Both of what I bought were aged either partially, or completely, in sherry barrels. Which, I understand, gives them more of what I'm looking for (flavors and character). So, I could like one, or both of these. :D:drunk:

The Balvenie Doublewood is excellent and probably the best value. I have consumed MANY a bottle and gifted others and created new fans.

If you can find a bottle of Balvenie Caribbean Cask, get that! Aged in old rum barrels! Yum!

You are correct. Adding some spring water (or distilled) will enhance the oils in the Scotch which will bring out the flavors.

I like a very small ice cube (just one). I prefer my Scotch "on a rock".

Well, I'm brewing the brown ale that I'm thinking of putting the scotch soaked oak cubes into (in a month or so)... Hopefully, that will give me enough time to really sample at least these two bottles and decide if either is a good fit for the brew. The brown ale is one I've brewed before, and it's solid on it's own. Since it's an English/UK brown ale I will be using the good scotch to add some distinct flavors to it. I might use the oak spirals I have too (American oak I think, medium plus toast level, from Farmhouse)...

I expect to have one of my aging kegs free in time for this batch. Probably going to pull my old ale that's been sitting with some medium toast cherry wood in it for a while.

Got a bottle of Highland Park over the weekend. Single malt. 12 year. My palette has experienced the peat flavor of scotch.

:drunk:

The Balvenie Doublewood is excellent and probably the best value. I have consumed MANY a bottle and gifted others and created new fans.

If you can find a bottle of Balvenie Caribbean Cask, get that! Aged in old rum barrels! Yum!

+1

Balvenie has definitely become my go-to "everyday" scotch. Good flavor & relatively affordable. The Doublewood is my stock scotch, but the Caribbean Cask was really good too.

I save the longer aged stuff (18+) for a special treat every now and again.

The husband of one of my friends at school is a pilot and used to fly with one of the Balvenie family members. I wish they kept in contact so I could have a scotch hook up.

Back