Fermentation chamber build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CnnmnSchnpps

Reaction score
My first big home improvement project related to brewing. I brew in a tiny 41m2 apartment and until now have been relying on some basement storage space for fermentation temp control, which was OK but not perfect (down to 13C in winter and up to 23C+ in summer).

I have a pretty large alcove fridge space, but my actual fridge is pretty tiny (t'was free). Hence the totally logical decision of raising the fridge up on a stand and building out a ferm chamber underneath it.

The plan:
- Make fermentation chamber shell out of spare materials on hand (check)
- Insulate and make a door
- Refrigeration for the ferm chamber; basically I am thinking
** Water reservoir in the fridge (will try to avoid plastic.. would love a right sized alum container)
** CPU cooler and fan soldered onto some copper piping for heat transfer in the ferm chamber
** aquarium pump and tubing from fridge to ferm chamber
- Install ebay temp controller

I will post up updates and pics as the build progresses. The big question in my mind is, how much load can the fridge take. I am fairly confident it can maintain ferm temps, but not so sure it will be able to crash cool. May eventually go for glycol in the freezer, but the freezer is small enough as it is, and stuffed full of hops!

All comments / question / suggestions welcome!

Cheers,
-D

PS - Felt good to get the power tools out for a change! :ban:

ferm 1.jpg

ferm 2.jpg

Back