2 Pole GFCI Breaker With 4 Wire Cord?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Hey All-

I've been researching how to provide GFCI protection to my toolbox control panel. It will be supplied by a 4 wire dryer cord, and I have a 2 pole 30A GFCI breaker in the box. My question is, once I hook everything up to the breaker (grd, neu, hot), aren't I still left with the second line that is still hot (and unprotected?). I'm eyeballing the breaker and I can see where the line and load sides are sposed to go, but it still seems like I'll be left with an odd man out. It's definitely more involved than the regular breakers, and I REALLY don't want to mess this one up ;) :confused:

The two hot wires are connected to each pole of the breaker. The Neutral is connected for the GFCI. The ground is not used for the breaker of GFCI.

By this:
Hey All-
It will be supplied by a 4 wire dryer cord, and I have a 2 pole 30A GFCI breaker in the box.

Do you mean that already have GFCI at the supply panel in your home or that you have the GFCI already in your toolbox? If it is in the panel for your whole house, do NOT install in your toolbox, this will not work. You only need 1 GFCI in the system be it at the panel or in the rig itself. I do not know which you were speaking of but thought could save you some money and frustration.

Hey All-

I've been researching how to provide GFCI protection to my toolbox control panel. It will be supplied by a 4 wire dryer cord, and I have a 2 pole 30A GFCI breaker in the box. My question is, once I hook everything up to the breaker (grd, neu, hot), aren't I still left with the second line that is still hot (and unprotected?). I'm eyeballing the breaker and I can see where the line and load sides are sposed to go, but it still seems like I'll be left with an odd man out. It's definitely more involved than the regular breakers, and I REALLY don't want to mess this one up ;) :confused:

On a two-pole breaker, technically BOTH poles are "line" side. Both hots will terminate at the two (hot) poles on your receptacle.

There is no GCFI at the house's panel, I'm putting one in my conrol box to make up for it. I see...I guess I didn't realize the ground wasn't included. So ground goes directly to its own bus, neutral goes through the breaker and the pigtail goes to neutral bus, and both hots go through the breaker and onto their respective busses...

Yup...figured it out the expensive way! I ended up installing a 50A breaker in the main panel with a 50A GFCI Spa Subpanel. I've been learning a lot about this stuff!

I had a similar issue, after all the parts for the new system were bought, I realized that my shop outlet was 3-prong off a 50a CB. I ran new 10/4 wire and got a 50a GFCI CB from a spa panel - problem solved! thanks PJ for the advice.

Latest posts

Back