First-timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just set-up my first home brew and started the primary fermentation.

I bought a Brubags kit and followed their instructions for the first steps for a 5 gallon batch.

My fermentation bucket is also for a 5 gallon batch. I filled the bucket to the "recommended fill line" which was marked on the side of the bucket. Unfortunately the lid popped off overnight and the mix was exposed to the air.

Two questions:

1. Did I overfill the fermenter bucket?

2. What are the chances of infection and how will I be able to tell?

I'm a complete novice so keep it simple!!

Cheers

PF

Did your fermentation bucket have an airlock? Something that lets the CO2 release / breath and not let other stuff in? They'll look like this:

s-type_airlock.jpg

Or This:
vinty_airlock.jpg

Possibility for infection "could" be there but as long as you sealed it again I wouldn't worry about it. But without these airlocks it's just going to pop the lid over and over... Oh, you fill the airlock 1/2 full with water. There is a line scribed on them. I use the second picture type so don't know of the prior.

The answer to both is probalby not, first, did you install a fermentation lock? how much head room was left after you filled the bucket? if you have head room and you installed a way for the co2 to be released why did the top pop off? reinstall the top and see what happends I bet you'll be alright. In any brew session there are mistakes some are pretty bad all I do is correct the best you can and almost always things turn out right or should I say alright.

Don't worry, your beers gonna be good.
If it popped the lid then it's gonna be protecyed by the krausen and CO2 produced.
Clean and sanitise the mess. place the lid back on (Unsealed) wait a week then transfer to primary or fit a bung and airlock.

What kind of ale are ya' brewin?
:mug:

Sounds like your bucket does not have an airlock. Simply place the cover on the bucket, do not seal it, and you'll be fine. That's all I use and there's no problem due to the outgoing gas and protective CO2 on the wort. You do not need an airlock while fermentation is active.

Thanks for the tips. I've placed the lid unsealed on top of the fermenter. It's bubbling away nicely so hopefully the layer of CO2 will prevent infection. I guess the amount of yeast will outcompete any other micro-organisms in the mix!

I'm brewing a Brupaks IPA. Finger's crossed!!

Latest posts

Back