Cooper priming tabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wino24

Reaction score
Hi all....anyone else using these Cooper priming tabs? I'm currently using them and so far I am not unhappy. But, I just brewed an American Wheat last night and when it comes time to bottle I was wondering if I should or could use 2 of those tabs per 1 12oz bottle for a little more carbonation...ideas?
Thanks

You shouldn't have a problem with two in each bottle. Maybe cut them in half and use 1.5 just to be safe.

I've never been a fan of those tabs though. I tested them out once on a bourbon coffee porter and they never fully dissolved. I bottled over 6 months ago on the last batch and there are still chunks floating in it when I pour my beer.

Hmmmm....so far I haven't had any problems with the tabs dissolving, they're usually gone within 24 hrs.

I usually use 1 tab 4oz. So for a regular bottle I use 3. If I know the bottle will be around at room temp longer, then just 2

I usually use 1 tab 4oz. So for a regular bottle I use 3. If I know the bottle will be around at room temp longer, then just 2

I think you're thinking of the Munton's tabs. They are smaller. 3 Coopers tabs in 12oz would likely result in very over carbonated beer or bombs. The directions on the Coopers tabs say 1 per 12oz or 2 for their "large" (700ml?) PET bottles. I've never had a problem using just 1 in 12oz. You might be able to use 2 in 12oz, but it'd be pretty fizzy.

Suthern-I had this crazy vision of me with a tiny hacksaw, at the counter trying to cut these puppies in half. :D Must need more drink...

As far as them not dissolving, I recommend flipping your bottle over once after a day. It seems to help mine dissolve better. I had a few of the large PET bottles that the tabs just wouldn't dissolve. I think they got stuck to the bottom and yeast flocculated over them, preventing the beer from touching them.

Terje

I think you're thinking of the Munton's tabs. They are smaller. 3 Coopers tabs in 12oz would likely result in very over carbonated beer or bombs. The directions on the Coopers tabs say 1 per 12oz or 2 for their "large" (700ml?) PET bottles. I've never had a problem using just 1 in 12oz. You might be able to use 2 in 12oz, but it'd be pretty fizzy.

Suthern-I had this crazy vision of me with a tiny hacksaw, at the counter trying to cut these puppies in half. :D Must need more drink...

As far as them not dissolving, I recommend flipping your bottle over once after a day. It seems to help mine dissolve better. I had a few of the large PET bottles that the tabs just wouldn't dissolve. I think they got stuck to the bottom and yeast flocculated over them, preventing the beer from touching them.

Terje

I was thinking Munton's too. My bad. I've never used the Coopers. They look like candy, so I'd probably end up eating them before my beer was ready to bottle.

Back