Green (unripe figs) any use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nissed as a pewt

Reaction score
As mentioned on an earlier thread I have a fig tree with lots of underdeveloped green figs on them. The chances of them maturing and ripening now autumn is on its way are they of any use?

The figs seem hampered by growing in the shade of their own leaves I think they grow in sunnier countries that see more sun than here in the UK. Would removing some leaves help them or will the lack of leaves hamper their growth through lack of photosynthesis?

If they never grow ripen would they be useless for a wine or is it worth an experiment for the price of some sugar and yeast?

Figs are a fruit. I say throw them into a bag with your malted grains and you'll get some interesting flavors in with your beer. I threw some carrots in once... that was neat. Maple sap instead of water is great too.

You'll definitely get some sugar precursors and starches that might contribute to the alcohol content as well as some interesting esters and other organic compounds.

Back