I was given a free Keg, what to do???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey_James

Reaction score
Well, I had a friend give a free Miller keg. I have depresserized and removed the dip tube and started cleaning. What are some of the next steps that I need to take?

Cut the top off of it with (in order of preference/speed) a plasma cutter, angle grinder, or sawzall. Grind/sand the sharp edges clean. Add some welded couplers or bulkhead fittings, and start brewing!

Cut the top off of it with (in order of preference/speed) a plasma cutter, angle grinder, or sawzall. Grind/sand the sharp edges clean. Add some welded couplers or bulkhead fittings, and start brewing!

Now why in the world would you list sawzall as the last choice....hmmmmm?????

Keggle_3.JPG

:D

A plasma cutter is the best option.
I burned mine out with a standard oxy/acetylene cutter but you have to make your burn wide and plan on doing a good bit of grinding as SS tends to melt and run rather than cut. Definitely fill the keg with water whatever method you choose to stop the frag from scarring the interior.

Thanks for the pointers guys. As I do not have access to a plasma cutter or sawzall, I will be using the angle grinder to get the top off. How far from the edge should I go??

Get as close to the edge as you can. You'll probably be forced to leave an inch or two just due to tool clearance.

Yeah, bigger is better (that's what she said...).

Another thought is that if you have a large lid for another pot...cut the hole large enough to fit that lid. (Note that covering a boiling pot of wort is never recommended, nor is it advised to cover it whilst it is on the cool. However, sometimes you might have a cooled batch of wort that just needs some protection from bumble bees, bird droppings and the occasional neighbor's sneeze.)

Back