Help picking kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotty71

Reaction score
I would go with the last choice. You have a a seperate bottling bucket which comes in handy. And the stick on thermometers instead of the floating one you have in your first choice. I would want to open your primary bucket to check on your floating thermometer. The second or third look good. But if I were you, I would have a fermenting primary bucket and a bottling bucket to go along with your 2 carboys. Just my 2 cents worth...:D

not sure about shipping costs but it looks like midwest's is the cheapest and you get the most beer storage for your buck. if you time it right you can have 3 batches going at a time. if i read the description right. all of them didn't come with bottles so start saving your brown pry off empties now. ferment well.

-nick

Just my 2 shillings... the kit I'm ordering is the third one on your list (except I went with plastic Better Bottles, personal choice.) The only thing I'm wondering about that kit is why it comes with 2 carboys, a fermenting bucket, and only 2 airlocks. I was under the impression that you'd want an airlock in each carboy, and one for your bucket.

Then again, I'm a noob.

I would go with the one from Midwest. I orderd my kit from them and love it. Also recently bought another bucket and better bottle from them so I can have more brews going. I would order someother stuff if you don't have like a boiling pot, spoons, extra airlocks, more stick on thermometers, cleaning and sanatizing. Ohh and don't forget a recipe kit also.

Just my 2 shillings... the kit I'm ordering is the third one on your list (except I went with plastic Better Bottles, personal choice.) The only thing I'm wondering about that kit is why it comes with 2 carboys, a fermenting bucket, and only 2 airlocks. I was under the impression that you'd want an airlock in each carboy, and one for your bucket.

Then again, I'm a noob.

Maybe they think you won't be using all three at the same time. I was wondering if it included a blowoff hose instead (if using carboy as primary), but doesn't appear to. Airlocks are really cheap though.

What's the idea of one ale pail + two 5 gallon carboys? You'll have two beers in secondary when one is in primary?

Edit: Just noticed that the others have one 5g and one 6g carboy, where Midwest offers two 5g. The former would be preferable to me.

Just noticed that the others have one 5g and one 6g carboy, where Midwest offers two 5g. The former would be preferable to me.

With a 6.5 gallon primary, is it necessary to have more than 5 gallon secondaries? I thought that you really only needed the extra headspace to handle krausen that would appear in your primary.

With a 6.5 gallon primary, is it necessary to have more than 5 gallon secondaries? I thought that you really only needed the extra headspace to handle krausen that would appear in your primary.

6.5 gallon primary would go with a 5 gallon secondary (5 gallon batch). My thought was the 6 gallon carboy would work better as a second primary vessel, rather than a second secondary. What would you want two of? I guess it depends on how frequently you use a secondary.

Homebrew has a 7.9 gallon primary bucket, which could be used for 6 gallon batches. Maybe that's the thought of a 6 gallon carboy as secondary. Those Canadian Brewhouse kits would work best with 7.9 gallon primary and 6 gallon carboy for secondary.

6.5 gallon primary would go with a 5 gallon secondary (5 gallon batch). My thought was the 6 gallon carboy would work better as a second primary vessel, rather than a second secondary. What would you want two of? I guess it depends on how frequently you use a secondary.

Homebrew has a 7.9 gallon primary bucket, which could be used for 6 gallon batches. Maybe that's the thought of a 6 gallon carboy as secondary. Those Canadian Brewhouse kits would work best with 7.9 gallon primary and 6 gallon carboy for secondary.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. That does make sense. At least for me, the Midwest kit is probably the best buy. I'll probably get an extra bucket and 2 more carboys, as I have the room to brew quite a lot of beer, and a reliable supply of as many bottles as my Jeep can hold.

shotty71: There are a few things that don't come with the Midwest kit that were pointed out to me. Hope they help when you make your decision. They were a cooking thermometer, a bottle washer if you plan on reusing bottles, an extra bung and airlock if you plan on using both carboys simultaniously, and a wine thief for safer hydrometer readings. From what I've read here, those hydrometers are delicate and tend to break if you attempt to sample straight from the carboy. A plain old turkey baster should also work fine instead of a wine thief.

shotty71: There are a few things that don't come with the Midwest kit that were pointed out to me. Hope they help when you make your decision. They were a cooking thermometer, a bottle washer if you plan on reusing bottles ...

Ah yes, the bottle washer. I'm a n00b who bought one today, installed the faucet adapter, attached the bottle washer, then turned on the water. "How's this work?" I wondered, and pressed down... well, it was a refreshing cold-water facial, anyway. And it works :p

Ah yes, the bottle washer. I'm a n00b who bought one today, installed the faucet adapter, attached the bottle washer, then turned on the water. "How's this work?" I wondered, and pressed down... well, it was a refreshing cold-water facial, anyway. And it works :p

Ahahah! Oh, too bad someone wasn't nearby to snap a picture. I'm just glad I asked here how they worked first. Just looking at the pictures on the website, I didn't have the slightest clue. I would have done the EXACT same thing, I know it. :D

From my vast experience of homebrewing (2 months) I would probably go with the last kit shown. I got rid of the floating thermometer and purchased some stick-on's for the carboys and the fermenting bucket. It is nice to have the separate bottling bucket. You'll want to look up Revvy's thread on bottling to see how puts in the extra pickup to get the last drops out of the bucket.

I bought my kit from Barkingside and it did not have the secondary bottles, which I purchased myself. I am currently scheming on how to ferment more carboys at one time. :rockin:I have a three year old son that necessitates Fort Knox type security measures for my airlocks. When I sort this out, I will have all 5 secondary fermenters going.

Another n00b speaks: I think it might be a sin not to warn newcomers to be sure and avoid bucket fermenters. Why? You can't see what's happening inside, that's why!

I like to say you can always tell a new HB'er . . . there's a stool next to the fermenter. Why, some of us even take pictures! What a dork I am. :)

1_6_09b.jpg

Midwest with the two carboys. However, see if you can upgrade one of the 5 gallon carboys to a 6 or a 61/2 and then check to make sure the stopper sizes are correct for each size. You may want to use a carboy for a primary at some point and the 5 gallon doesn't have enough head space for the 5 gallon brew size without using a blow-off tube, hence the need for the larger carboy.

Back