Rims Rocket Opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcbandl

Reaction score
The next thing I want to improve on is mash temps and recirculating mash. I have decided to go with RIMS system. I am about to pull the trigger on a purchase and have decided to go with a Blichmann RIMS/Hop Rocket a Chugger pump and all the fittings and hoses. I plan to start out with manually turning the RIMS on and off while recirculating to hold temps.

Feedback from anyone who uses the RIMS rocket is appreciated. And also from anyone who uses a rims and manually powers on and off.

I have not used the RIMS rocket specifically, but they look pretty slick. I do have a RIMS system however, and it is certainly possible to manually switch it on and off, it will just take some experience to know how long of a duration you should switch it on and off. There are a few variables, namely the flow rate of your recirculation, and where you put the temp probe. It is best to have a temp probe/thermometer on the output side of the RIMS rocket, so you can gauge how quickly the wort is heating up. Also keep in mind that the RIMS rocket comes in 240 and 120v models, so be sure you get the one compatible with your existing wiring.

I should add that I am getting the 120v since I only need it for holding the mash temps. I am sticking with gas for heating strike water and boiling wort so 240 would be overkill at this point in time.

I am also considering going the 120v route as well. I am a biab brewer using a 15 gal megapot 1.2, and I will be putting a hole in the lid for recirculation via a rims rocket and chugged pump controlled by a stc1000 or a pid controller.

I will be interested in knowing the outcome if you do this before I Decide.

Why not just use a cheap Johnson temperature controller instead of manually firing the element, If you don't want to build your own rims controller?

Since I last posted I pulled the trigger and have most of the parts for a PID controller from auber as well as a large order of fittings and a rims tube from brewhardware.com Just finalizing the other misc components. Assembly should start next week sometime and hopefully it will be up and running within a month. Its funny how many "OTHER" items you figure out you need after you order the main parts.

Dude you have no Idea, or I guess you do now lol. The "other" items get you every time.
Have fun post pics!

I have the RIMS Rocket and an Auber PID. Not thrilled with either but it works.

First, I'm sorry you bought the Auber. They are a horrible company and I wish nothing good to them. I had a disgustingly awful experience with them. Their PID is the same as many others though. It'll do the job.

I have 2 complaints about the RIMS Rocket:
1. The clamp they use is highly prone to thread galling. Even with their recommended petrol jelly, it galled. I had to cut the clamp off a brand new unit after a test run with water. They didn't warrant it. Now i use the stuff they use on spark plugs and it has been fine.
2. It's an awkward shape. Mounting it is a huge pain in the butt. If you look around you'll see no one has a good solution for it unless you're mounting to the blichmann stand.

There are a few key elements to good RIMS/PID performance:
1. Consistent flow rate. You need to tune the controller to the flow rate you will use during mashing (probably about 2-4 qt/min). Otherwise your temps will be all over the place. Also needs to be sufficiently high that you are pushing wort from the elements to your temp sensor reasonably quickly so you don't add a big delay, which hurts PID performance.
2. Placement of temp sensor should be just at the output of the RIMS tube.

Good luck. RIMS is a good investment in your brewing.

Since I last posted I pulled the trigger and have most of the parts for a PID controller from auber as well as a large order of fittings and a rims tube from brewhardware.com Just finalizing the other misc components. Assembly should start next week sometime and hopefully it will be up and running within a month. Its funny how many "OTHER" items you figure out you need after you order the main parts.

Bringing this thread back to life.

Did you get everything assembled and running? If so, what controller did you end up going with?

OK I went with the 18" rims tube from brewhardware.com with the 2000W element. Had some issue at first getting the element centered and after making a jig, i got the bends perfect. I also went with the Auber PID. The controller box assembly was a little slow but it is working like a champ and it looks great. I cant post pics right now due to being at work but I will try and remember to post when I get home.

And on top of that it upped the quality of my beer quite a bit. Its amazing how controlling mash temps can improve your wort.

Back