Starter not starting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefro

Reaction score
I made my first starter about 24 hrs ago, 1/2 gallon at about 1.060 in a 1 gallong jug with Trappist yeast (WPL500, 1 vial). I pitched the yeast at exactly the same temp as the water and I was totally OCD with sanitation. However, *nothing* appears to be happening, no krausen, no bubbles, nothing. It is in the house at about 68degF, where I intend to start the final beer.

I haven't checked gravity yet to see if it is different. There does appear to be a slight layer at the bottom forming.

I know all the advice about not giving up etc. but don't know what to expect with this yeast or the process. Is it just taking a while, or should I have seen some action by now? I am hoping to use it to brew my first Tripel on Sunday or Monday.

thanks

I see this post a lot with WLP500. Give it more time, unless the vial you used was super expired you should be fine. Even if it was, give it more time and you're probably still fine.

1.060 is a little high for a starter, might take it a bit longer than the recommended 1.040.

Sometimes starters can ferm out pretty quick without you actually observing any activity. Can you post a picture?

Patience. Sounds like it's all better now. I did a starter earlier this week took around 48 hours before I saw any action.

landshark that was my experience precisely - mine took almost exactly 48 hrs.

I started it on Thursday eve and set it on the kitchen counter. Saturday eve I was sitting in the kitchen finishing up a homebrew and reading John Palmer's book again, and heard a little noise behind me. We have had way too many mice this year, so I thought it was a mouse trying to get into one of the no-kill traps we leave lying around (safer for our useless cats). This one is behind a curtain, so I listened carefully... crept around the table... snuck up on it... and then pounced!

Of course it was empty. The noise continued. On investigation it was bubbles coming through the lock on my starter! So I broke open another homebrew and ceased to worry.

Now waiting for many yeasties to accumulate - will brew hopefully tomorrow or possibly Wednesday (busy on Tues).

I never got a krausen, just some interesting little bubble islands roaming around on the surface evidencing much activity within, but even that has slowed down a bit. It has mostly been in the 66-68 range and got fairly cold last night, so it is probably done doing whatever it will do. I'm going to cold-crash for a few days in the fridge and hope to brew my trippel Friday or Saturday after warming & decanting. I may order another vial of it just in case what I have fails to take off, but I feel pretty confident & should get about a cup of slurry, or at least I hope so.

It has been a really interesting process so far!

Latest posts

Back