Carbing Bottles at 60C

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wronguy

Reaction score
I am wondering if it would be a problem carbing bottles at 60F, I am kegging the majority of my batch so the wait time is not an issure, just wondering if it will eventually carb at these temps.

Thanks,

Dave

I am wondering if it would be a problem carbing bottles at 60C, I am kegging the majority of my batch so the wait time is not an issure, just wondering if it will eventually carb at these temps.

Thanks,

Dave

Why so hot?

Many ale yeast go dormant below about 62-63 degrees. They may or may not carb up.

If storing them at 60 degrees is the only possibility, I'd add either 1/3 package of nottingham dry yeast at bottling (mixing it in the cooled priming solution) or a package of lager yeast as someone else mentioned. Not too many ale yeast will carb a beer when it's dormant!

If you had someplace in your house that is warmer, you could carb them up in an area that is room temperature, and then store then at 60 once they are carbed up. Sometimes a spare closet is the best choice.

Thanks Yooper, the yeast I used was accually a Nottingham yeast to ferment, I think it was rated at ariund 58f, I guess I can just use the ferment temps as a guide line, never thought about that> Its not the only place i can store but thought I might get better aging as I don't need the brews for a few months as I will be kegging the majoriy

Many ale yeast go dormant below about 62-63 degrees. They may or may not carb up.

If storing them at 60 degrees is the only possibility, I'd add either 1/3 package of nottingham dry yeast at bottling (mixing it in the cooled priming solution) or a package of lager yeast as someone else mentioned. Not too many ale yeast will carb a beer when it's dormant!

If you had someplace in your house that is warmer, you could carb them up in an area that is room temperature, and then store then at 60 once they are carbed up. Sometimes a spare closet is the best choice.

Back