Do I need a fuse??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
I recently created a control panel and wired a switch in front of the PID. I'm wondering if I need a fuse. I've seen some people recommend this in reading around the board. I pretty much followed the RIMS for Dummies wiring diagram.

I can post a pic of my wiring schematic, but I thought it might not be necessary for the question. Do I need a fuse to protect the pid?

Thanks.

The fuse is cheap and is designed to sacrifice itself to protect the pid. If you was to ever have a problem would you rather change the fuse or the pid. Either way will work fine.

I recently created a control panel and wired a switch in front of the PID. I'm wondering if I need a fuse. I've seen some people recommend this in reading around the board. I pretty much followed the RIMS for Dummies wiring diagram.

I can post a pic of my wiring schematic, but I thought it might not be necessary for the question. Do I need a fuse to protect the pid?

Thanks.

You would want a fuse to protect the wiring to the PID. Suppose the wire feeding the PID comes loose and touches ground, a low amperage fuse will protect the wire from burning and setting the control panel on fire. If the PID all of a sudden starts drawing excess current, then it is already broken, but the fuse will protect the wiring to it.

I am going to have my lower power stuff on one 5A circuit breaker in the control panel, protecting 14 AWG wiring, and then a smaller one for the transformer. Others have multiple circuit breakers, one for each load, sometimes serving as switches also. It really is up to you.

I actually wired the PID with 12awg wire. So if there is no need to protect a wire not rated for the outlet's full amperage there is no need for a fuse?

You probably don't need a fuse. You will probably wish you'd installed one if the need arises.

From a less philosophical standpoint - if it's ok to pump 15-20 amps through whatever that wire may contact, then it's ok not to install a fuse. The receptacle's existing circuit breaker will do its job.

Back