It tastes like beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
I opened up my first bottle of the beer I brewed a few weeks ago. It is just a really simple extract porter (I figured start small) and it has a slight ester taste to it (not quite banana taste, but a bit fruity), but I didn't read my directions and pitched the yeast at 90 degrees, so I am surprised it isn't worse.

Anyhow, it ended up at 4.6%, a very nice dark brown, and the head was just off white and died off pretty quick, but it is still very well carbonated.

This was an extra 12 oz. bottle I had laying around, and the rest are in 22s, so I'll let them sit another week until I tear into them, but it is totally drinkable now!

I'm so happy! And my wit already is starting to kick off some great smells (it is only 4 days into fermentation and so it has a ways to go)

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far.

Congratulations.

Ain't nothin like a home grown buzz.

Suggestion. Take three or four of those 22 Oz bottles and hide them.

Then get to brewing your next batches and do the same with all of them.

Imagine openning the fridge this winter and having 5, 6 or 7 different beers to choose from that are all aged to perfection.

Trust me on this one.

BierMuncher said:
Congratulations.

Ain't nothin like a home grown buzz.

Suggestion. Take three or four of those 22 Oz bottles and hide them.

Then get to brewing your next batches and do the same with all of them.

Imagine openning the fridge this winter and having 5, 6 or 7 different beers to choose from that are all aged to perfection.

Trust me on this one.

I'm almost ahead of you. I plan on saving 3 of each that I make and hiding them away with my bottles of Vertical Epic in my secret spot where nobody would accidentally drink them and so I can see how well they age.

Plus, in winter, the temperatures are almost perfect to brew in San Diego, so I doubt I'll be letting up.

Yes! Hopefully I will be in your shoes in a few weeks time, drinking something that resembles beer...Congratulations! :mug:

Back