2009 Dechutes Jubelale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oswegan

Reaction score
The Jubelale is out and it's really good. I think I had better make something like it before I blow all the money I just saved on hops.

I did a search and found this, but am wondering if this is the best clone recipe or if someone knows better:

Jubelale

A ProMash Brewing Session - Recipe Details Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 15.81
Anticipated OG: 1.073 Plato: 17.8
Anticipated SRM: 24.6
Anticipated IBU: 61.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
82.2 13.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
9.5 1.50 lbs. Crystal 130L Great Britain 1.033 130
6.3 1.00 lbs. Crystal 80L America 1.033 80
1.4 0.22 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
0.6 0.09 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Galena Whole 12.00 32.6 60 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 8.6 60 min.
0.50 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.70 7.0 60 min.
1.00 oz. Tettnanger Pellet 5.60 12.9 30 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 6.50 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Plug 5.00 0.0 Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP022 Essex Ale

That would be great. Although, doesn't it change each year or is it the same??

As far as I know, it's pretty consistent form year to year. This recipe is right from the brewery....note the batch size!

Jubel Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 1550.00 Wort Size (Gal): 1550.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 4035.00
Anticipated OG: 1.069 Plato: 16.86
Anticipated SRM: 25.3
Anticipated IBU: 65.9
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Tinseth
Tinseth Concentration Factor: 1.30

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Extract SRM
81.8 3300.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) GW America 57.48 2
10.9 440.00 lbs. Crystal 150L - Baird Great Britain 7.03 150
5.5 220.00 lbs. Crystal 70/80L - Baird Great Britain 3.51 75
1.2 50.00 lbs. Cara-Pils - Breiss American 0.82 2
0.6 25.00 lbs. Roasted Barley - Breiss America 0.34 300

Extract represented as Points.

Hops

224.00 oz. Galena Whole 13.00 31.5 60 min.
192.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 12.0 60 min.
192.00 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 10.4 60 min.
320.00 oz. Tettnanger Whole 4.50 12.0 30 min.
160.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 0.0 0 min.
320.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 0.0 Dry Hop
160.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Yes, I think you're right. I also found a recipe that is a few years old from a member of the Oregon Brew Crew who claims it came straight from the brewer. It looks like a conversion of the same recipe:

Jubel Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.02
Anticipated OG: 1.069 Plato: 16.9
Anticipated SRM: 25.3
Anticipated IBU: 75.3
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
81.8 10.65 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) GW America 1.036 2
10.9 1.42 lbs. Crystal 150L - Baird Great Britain 1.033 150
5.5 0.71 lbs. Crystal 70/80L - Baird Great Britain 1.033 75
1.2 0.16 lbs. Cara-Pils - Breiss American 1.034 2
0.6 0.08 lbs. Roasted Barley - Breiss America 1.028 300

Hops

20.49 g. Galena Whole 13.00 38.4 60 min.
17.56 g. Cascade Whole 5.75 14.5 60 min.
17.56 g. Willamette Whole 5.00 12.7 60 min.
29.26 g. Tettnanger Whole 4.50 9.7 30 min.
14.63 g. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 0.0 0 min.
29.20 g. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 0.0 Dry Hop
14.74 g. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Different IBU though.

I guess the questions are mash temp and yeast.

It drinks pretty dry so maybe 149-150?

I have seen Wyeast 1028 English Ale mentioned, but maybe it would be better with White Labs 007 Dry English Ale . . .

When I lived in PDX, Jubelale was different every year (or at least it seemed that way, and I was brewing back then too). But I moved away in 2002, so maybe it's stabilized. That being said, man I miss this beer. I always looked forward to the winter beers and Jubelale was at the top of the list. Tasty stuff!

This year's tastes VERY different from the 2007 version. It tastes somewhat similar to 2008's, however.

I did a vertical tasting with 2005 through 2008 last year and there was wide variation in taste and color, too wide for age alone to explain. I think they use a different recipe every year.

I used to be the "intoxication master" at a Halloween party on Hawthorne in Portland that takes place every year, and still does. This meant I was in charge of kegs for one thing. Around 2000 we got a keg of Jubelale, a keg of Elysian ESB from Seattle and a keg of Lindemans Framboise (a pony keg). People were so happy with that selection. Wide range of flavors.

Sniff. I miss Northwest beers. But especially Deschutes.

This year's tastes VERY different from the 2007 version. It tastes somewhat similar to 2008's, however.

I did a vertical tasting with 2005 through 2008 last year and there was wide variation in taste and color, too wide for age alone to explain. I think they use a different recipe every year.

I just called and it turns out that it's the same recipe every year.

They have it on tap down in NW Portland at the new Deschutes Taproom. I found out that they also brew it at that location so I am going to go down there for happy hour and do some research. I will act like a guy whose just having a beer and see if I can squeeze the brewer for information.

Full report at 11.

I just called and it turns out that it's the same recipe every year.

They have it on tap down in NW Portland at the new Deschutes Taproom. I found out that they also brew it at that location so I am going to go down there for happy hour and do some research. I will act like a guy whose just having a beer and see if I can squeeze the brewer for information.

Full report at 11.

Any report?

Any report?

Yes, my apologies it was bit of a rough evening. You see I was on my way to the Deshutes Taproom when I made the mistake of passing Bridgeport Brewing. Just at that moment I realized that Bridgeport released it's Hop Harvest ale and it's Hop Czar over the weekend, and at $2.75 an imperial pint for happy hour, I found it nearly impossible to resist. So I opted for the Hop Harvest, which they say features primarily fresh Chinook hops, with the full intention of making the Taproom my next stop. But when I left Bridgeport I realized I was late fo the MNF/poker party I was ultimately headed to so opted to pick up a sixer of Jubelale at the Safeway across the street which was on sale for $5.99. At the party we discussed the merits of Jubelale, among other things, over a friendly Texas Holdem tournement. When the Jubel was gone it turned out that I had been patient enough to win the tournement and so I made my way home. Today I am going to use the winnings to purchase a new Seal a Meal, so I can portion out all of my hops, and hopefully I will have time to visit the Taproom to talk to them about the Jubelale this evening, while diguised as a regular guy who likes beer.

The investigation continues - what I really hope to discover is the type of yeast they use and the hops they used this year. I believe the only thing that might change from year to year are the hops.

Yes, my apologies it was bit of a rough evening. You see I was on my way to the Deshutes Taproom when I made the mistake of passing Bridgeport Brewing. Just at that moment I realized that Bridgeport released it's Hop Harvest ale and it's Hop Czar over the weekend, and at $2.75 an imperial pint for happy hour, I found it nearly impossible to resist. So I opted for the Hop Harvest, which they say features primarily fresh Chinook hops, with the full intention of making the Taproom my next stop. But when I left Bridgeport I realized I was late fo the MNF/poker party I was ultimately headed to so opted to pick up a sixer of Jubelale at the Safeway across the street which was on sale for $5.99. At the party we discussed the merits of Jubelale, among other things, over a friendly Texas Holdem tournement. When the Jubel was gone it turned out that I had been patient enough to win the tournement and so I made my way home. Today I am going to use the winnings to purchase a new Seal a Meal, so I can portion out all of my hops, and hopefully I will have time to visit the Taproom to talk to them about the Jubelale this evening, while diguised as a regular guy who likes beer.

The investigation continues - what I really hope to discover is the type of yeast they use and the hops they used this year. I believe the only thing that might change from year to year are the hops.

Yes, the Bridgeport hop harvest is a good one, I had it last year. I also like the Ebenezer too.

I think that Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley is a closer match to their house yeast than Wyeast 1028 London Ale which I have seen in other clone recipes of their beers... their beers seem less fruity and more crisp/minerally while full bodied, which the Thames Valley really brings. I haven't used WLP022 Essex but it may be similar to their house yeast, it's worth a try.

I think that Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley is a closer match to their house yeast than Wyeast 1028 London Ale which I have seen in other clone recipes of their beers... their beers seem less fruity and more crisp/minerally while full bodied, which the Thames Valley really brings. I haven't used WLP022 Essex but it may be similar to their house yeast, it's worth a try.

How does the Thames Valley compare to say WLP007 Dry British Ale? I would agree that the beers have a dry flavor. But I have to admit that I don't like many of them other than the Jubelale.

Well I made it to Deshutes Taproom in Portland last night and had the Jubelale on tap. It was very tasty. They said the batch was from Bend and that their Portland batch was nearly done. I found out that they use their house yeast for the jubel but I wasn't able to talk to anyone who knows exactly what the house yeast is. I also had their Fresh Hop Pale which is basically Mirror Pond with all Centennial fresh hops. I was pretty blown away by that beer. I guess I didn't expect them to have anything that good - since they have gone a little bit main stream in my eyes.

This goes to show that just because a place gets popular or "mainstream" does not always mean that quality has been sacrificed. Deschutes is and will continue to be one of the best breweries around...I need to get down there for both of those beers and whatever is on the draw tap!

Regarding yeast, the Can You Brew It Guys have been using WLP002 for all their Deschutes clones -- they got Obsidian and Black Butte Porter right, but missed Mirror Pond.

This yeast doesn't attenuate particularly high, but mashing low and pitching well seems to help. I've got a cascade hopped pale ale on day 4 in the primary right now -- we'll see what attenuation I get out of it. It was down from 53 to 17 in 2 days. Temperature wise, Deschutes ferments everything at 64/65 from listening to the CYBI show interviews w/ the brewers.

There's also a thread hear claiming they use 1968 (which is the same as WLP002) http://forums.moreflavor.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33273&start=0

I have some washed 1098- but sounds like I will have to go pick up one of these others.

The jubelale didn't taste that dry to me, so not sure about the Thames Valley recommendation, we actually thought it was a little fruity.

The wet hop pale tasted, and smelled, like pure melon rind, but I guess it was largely attributed to the centennial hops.

You're correct, it's 1968.

Any thoughts on the best way to coax these strains to ~75% attenuation?

I have a batch at 65 I was rousing every few waking hours the first 3 days. I pitched slurry from a 2L starter (from a WLP002 vial) and mashed at 152. TBD on outcome. Once it finishes I'll ramp it up to 70 for a diacetyl rest before kegging and dry hopping.

Wyeast 1968
Flocculation: Very High
Attenuation: 67-71%
Temperature Range: 64-72F, 18-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

WLP002
Attenuation: 63-70%
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-68°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

Any thoughts on the best way to coax these strains to ~75% attenuation?

I have a batch at 65 I was rousing every few waking hours the first 3 days. I pitched slurry from a 2L starter (from a WLP002 vial) and mashed at 152. TBD on outcome. Once it finishes I'll ramp it up to 70 for a diacetyl rest before kegging and dry hopping.

Wyeast 1968
Attenuation: 67-71%
Temperature Range: 64-72F, 18-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

WLP002
Attenuation: 63-70%
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-68°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

I got 79% out of WLP002 on my RIS (1095 to 1020) Mashed at 149 and pitch a 4 liter starter.

Yep, Deschutes' Bond Street series (Hop Trip, Red Chair, Hop Henge) and their Brewer's Reserve Series (The Abyss, Mirror Mirror, The Dissident, and Black Butte XXI) are all fantastic.

The Portland and Deschutes pubs make draft-only specialties that rival any other brewpub.

The Deschutes pub recently had a fresh hop IPA (Called The Dualie) that was a recipe based on Pliny the Elder with lots of fresh centennial hops added. Incredible!

Just picked up a six pack of this year's product. Kinda strange... it has sort of a fusel alcohol taste to it.

Well I went back and talked to an assistant brewer and most all of their beers use the same house yeast. He indicated that it is a Wyeast product and is a type of english ale yeast that is produced specifically for them and not commercially available. So it sounds like 1968 may be the best option.

I brewed this over the weekend and ended up pitching on a cake of Wyeast 1968. It worked out really well, though I am a little surprised by the color - I thought it would be darker in the fermenter. I guess its not really that much roasted barley though, I think I've used more barley than that in an imperial red.

I agree, the last two years were quite similar, but I am pretty sure 2007 was darker, roastier and maybe more chocolatey.

To me it seems like this years version is a bit more maltier, and less hoppy.

To me it seems like this years version is a bit more maltier, and less hoppy.

Funny, I thought just the opposite! I really felt like the hops were more pronounced that in years past.. It's really hard to say since I havent had one since last year and I have had a lot of beer in between.. All I know is it is damn tasty! Cant wait to try to brew this up...:mug:

I brewed my version of it at the end of October. It's in the keg now waiting for the holiday.

Here's my recipe that is essetially based on what I have heard is the Brewery's original recipe:

7 Gallon Batch:

15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.74 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 10.90 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5.45 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 1.36 %
0.10 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 0.54 %
1.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 15.8 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 12.6 IBU
1.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 37.4 IBU
1.25 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (30 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops

Mash 158 for 60 minutes.

Regarding yeast, the Can You Brew It Guys have been using WLP002 for all their Deschutes clones -- they got Obsidian and Black Butte Porter right, but missed Mirror Pond.

This yeast doesn't attenuate particularly high, but mashing low and pitching well seems to help. I've got a cascade hopped pale ale on day 4 in the primary right now -- we'll see what attenuation I get out of it. It was down from 53 to 17 in 2 days. Temperature wise, Deschutes ferments everything at 64/65 from listening to the CYBI show interviews w/ the brewers.

There's also a thread hear claiming they use 1968 (which is the same as WLP002) http://forums.moreflavor.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33273&start=0

I just got confirmation from the brewer himself (and I can verify this) that the closest yeast clone to the Deschutes house yeast (which is proprietary) is Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale. He also added that the diacetyl rest is very important for this yeast, as it can produce a decent amount, especially when over pitched.

I just got confirmation from the brewer himself (and I can verify this) that the closest yeast clone to the Deschutes house yeast (which is proprietary) is Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale. He also added that the diacetyl rest is very important for this yeast, as it can produce a decent amount, especially when over pitched.

Good to know. Everyone always assumes it's 1968/Fullers, but from what I've heard, the brewers always just said "highly flocculent English strain", they never said it was Fullers. And, seems it turns out to be Swedish!

Thanks for posting.

Hey all,
Just picked up the ingredients to brew this. Fond memories of the PNW.

Does anybody have any opinions on why the brewer used three different hops at 60 minutes? Do they contribute differently? My understanding is bittering hop contributions are all the same.

Cheers

@Oswegan, how did your recipe turn out last year? Wanting to get a clone of Jubelale going soon and wondering which of these recipes to use.

Like many of you guys on here, used to live in PDX and have great memories of this beer. No chance of getting in here in Alabama, so I'm going to brew my own.

Back