Austin Homebrew Supply Greenbelt v. WLP001 - The experiment begins...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
*Disclaimer - I know the folks at AHS have tested this yeast; so this is nothing more than some independent fun*

Here's the plan, on Sunday I'm going to brew a 11 gallon batch and split it into two 5.5 gallon batches, 1 with AHS' new yeast "Greenbelt" and the other with WLP001.

I know there are tons of variables that I won't be able to control, but I'll do my best to make this as scientific as possible.

Once the beers are bottled, I'll be hoping for some volunteers to provide feedback.

Recipe:

21 lbs 2-row
1.5 lbs 60L

2 oz Magnum @ 60
2 oz Cascade @ 15
1 oz Cascade @ 5
1 oz Summit @ 5
1 oz Cascade @ dry
1 oz Summit @ dry

Mash @ 154*F, ferment at 60*F ambient for three weeks, dry hop for one week.

To try and make sure my pitch rates are pretty close, I'm going to make a starter today with Greenbelt, and 18 hrs later decant into a sterilized jar and put in the fridge. I'll do the same with WLP001, and then bring both back to pitching temperatures on Sunday night.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

looks great. I have the same experiment going with an amber ale, greenbelt vs my house ale strain wlp007. The 007 has already dropped clear and the greenbelt has not. hopefully these will be kegged in the next week. we can compare results, greenbelt vs an English strain and an American strain.

- Raises hand to volunteer for feedback!

Great experiment- let us all know all the details!

I thought about submitting to a BJCP comp under different names; but they usually only allow 1 entrant per subcategory.

I thought about submitting one as a 10A and one as a 14B (as this will likely meet both style guidelines), but I don't think that would accurately reflect, either.

Hmmmm....too bad I don't know anyone who's helping to organize a BJCP contest where I could maybe ship them a few bottles to judge independent of the contest. ;)

I know some people that sampled the Mikkeller yeast series beers. It was 5 different yeasts same base beer. Their complaint was that the base beer was too hoppy to discern the subtleties of the yeast's.

I'm not saying your beer would be too hoppy to tell the difference, just something to keep in mind.

I'm looking forward to your results! :mug:

I know some people that sampled the Mikkeller yeast series beers. It was 5 different yeasts same base beer. Their complaint was that the base beer was too hoppy to discern the subtleties of the yeast's.

I'm not saying your beer would be too hoppy to tell the difference, just something to keep in mind.

I'm looking forward to your results! :mug:

That's a good comment, however this new yeast strain is supposed to be really hop friendly, so I wanted to let 'er rip! :D

Austinhomebrew.com said:
Greenbelt is an American ale strain that complements hop-driven beers with fruity and floral aromas. Good attenuation and high flocculation characteristics make Greenbelt clean and versatile.

I'm also interested in the results of this. I'm planning an IPA with the Greenbelt yeast and I'd love to know how it compares to 001. Subscribed...

Hey, great idea. I almost bought some of the Greenbelt but I thought I'd wait awhile and see how others like it. Subscribed!

Greenbelt is sitting on the stir plate...

Guess this officially a go!

I'm taking good notes so if there's anything to be learned, hopefully I can figure it out :drunk:

I was going to do this exact same thing, but now through the beauty of the internet, I can follow your results instead!

I'm particularly interested in what difference it brings out in the hops. Being that I am not an IPA guy, big, bitter hop characteristics are not my style, BUT, if this yeast was able to make the flavors pop without the bitterness my sensitive palate does not enjoy, it might be something I would be interested in.

Would green glasses somehow be correlated with greenbelt? Just askin':D

;)

UPDATE: Both starters have been made, the WLP001 is cold crashing in the fridge.

Grain is measured, and getting ready to crush.

I'm modifying the hop schedule a little - I really like late/dry additions of Summit, as it has a great citrus flavor/aroma which should add to this experiment.

2 oz Magnum @ 60
2 oz Cascade @ 15
1 oz Cascade @ 5
1 oz Summit @ 5
1 oz Cascade @ dry
1 oz Summit @ dry

I'm interested too. Having stepped up toa 60 qt BK is going to give me a. Chance to do some experimenting too. Maybe a side by side of AHS and Midwests strains. See if Wyeast is pulling a fast one on everybody.

I thought about submitting to a BJCP comp under different names; but they usually only allow 1 entrant per subcategory.

I thought about submitting one as a 10A and one as a 14B (as this will likely meet both style guidelines), but I don't think that would accurately reflect, either.

Hmmmm....too bad I don't know anyone who's helping to organize a BJCP contest where I could maybe ship them a few bottles to judge independent of the contest. ;)

Send it in under the ol' ladies name :D

I wasn't happy with how the second starter was acting during the cold crash, so I've decided to postpone the brew day until Tuesday.

This will ensure that both the yeasts are pretty much in the same state (started, finished, crashed, decanted, and put in a mason jar in the fridge)

It's boiling away....

Hope to report back in ~8 weeks :D

60_min.jpg

A lot of competitions allow multiple subcategory entries if the recipe is different, I would say half of the ones I enter do.

I second less hoppy beer but also let me say, definitely don't dry hop. You want everything the same after you fill the fermentors and dry hopping just gives another chance to make things different.

Think about a blond ale or wheat beer as the best possible experiment.

A lot of competitions allow multiple subcategory entries if the recipe is different, I would say half of the ones I enter do.

I second less hoppy beer but also let me say, definitely don't dry hop. You want everything the same after you fill the fermentors and dry hopping just gives another chance to make things different.

Think about a blond ale or wheat beer as the best possible experiment.

How would dry hopping make things different if you're dry hopping with the same hops?

austin greenbelt is made frpm people....its made from peeeooooppppplllleeeee

Hahaha.

Regardless - I have two 5.5 gallon batches tucked away in the fermenters....

I would also be concerned about dryhopping, since it happens post fermentation it might cover up the flavour.

dry hopping concerns = 2
no concerns = 0

keep the votes coming in! I'm gonna primary for ~3 weeks, so there's still time....

Both are actively fermenting this morning.

+1 for no dry hop.

The beer might not be as tasty, but it's a sacrifice in the name of science and for the betterment of mankind.:D

If you keg I definetely say no dry-hop. Carb then sample and note undry-hopped. Once your 'results' are in, just dry-hop in the keg.

I too am interested in the results.

I really like the idea behind the yeast so I took the plunge and it's fermenting away right now (a hoppy pale ale).

I will say, there is nothing like FRESH yeast. Since this is a new strain I got it as soon as it was available. I have never seen a Wyeast Activator pack puff up so quickly - and the yeast took off like a rocket.

I say no dry hop, as it will be masking the yeast produced flavors of [rimary fermentation.
Def. interested in results here, but also wondering how greenbelt would make smaller quantities of hops pop out of a recipe other than IPA style. Such as the citrus/fruit that could really stand out nicely in an american wheat or maybe a blonde ale.

In any case, good work.

Back