How do you like my Nuts? Brown recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
What's up HBT?! Check out the latest recipe from the dark and mysterious depths of my imagination! You can't find recipes like this just anywhere you know. I'm aiming for a malty, nutty, yummy freakin' brown freakin' ale. I'm sure you'll agree I've found just the thing.

His Royal Grace's Excellent and Nutty Brown Ale

OG 1.043
IBU 19.6
SRM 20.9

5.5 gal batch based on 78% efficiency

4 lb. Maris Otter
2 lb. Munich malt
1 lb. Brown malt (home-toasted from Maris Otter)
0.75 lb. British Crystal 55
0.25 lb. British Chocolate malt
0.25 lb. Victory Malt

0.70 oz. Willamette (5.5%) 60 min.
0.5 oz. East Kent Goldings (5.0%) 20 min.

Mash at 154*F for 60 min.

S-04 Yeast fermented at 65*F

The Brown malt was made by soaking a lb of maris otter in water for 30 minutes, draining, then toasting on a sheet pan in a 350*F oven for two hours, agitating the malt every 15 minutes.

I'll be brewing this one as soon as the Brown malt has had time to mellow and off-gas completely.

It's definitely going to be malt-forward, with a BU:GU ratio of 0.46:1 as well as the toasted malt, Victory, Munich and Maris Otter base malt. I wonder if it's not going to be too malt-forward. Hm.

Time will tell, I suppose. I suggest using a secondary on this one. Taste it when you think the time ripe to rack. If it's too malt-forward, you can dry-hop in the clearing tank and at least try to achieve some sort of balance.

Or you could just brew the beer and tell me to shut up. :fro:

Bob

boiling this one right now. the mash smelled great, hopefully that is a sign of a good beer to come. i modified the grain bill and hop schedule slightly. im really looking forward to this one!

Through in a cup of brown sugar at flameout!

I may try something like that in a brown or bitter pretty soon. Didn't make it into this one though.

First time using my barley crusher today and my dang efficiency jumped to 85%. Meaning my OG is 1.048 and my IBUs are 18. Is there such a thing as a malt bomb?

This keg is finally back on tap, over a year after brewing. And it's....VERY good. Quite dry, but with a really nice maltiness that's not at all overpowering. Despite the increased efficiency resulting in lower than expected IBUs, it doesn't taste under-bittered at all. The balance is superb actually, probably since it is so dry. The smell is all malt, with a bit of bitter chocolate rounding it out. It tastes just like it smells, but with a slight tartness coming through, and the unmistakable flavor s-04 yeast creates. It's crystal clear and a beautiful dark ruby when held to the light. The head pours a foamy off-white and dissipates quickly. This beer is very drinkable and I'm enjoying my third one tonight.

Latest posts

Back