Out of curiosity...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaineriv

Reaction score
Not that I have the desire to recreate a 20% abv+ brew, like DFH 120-minute IPA (yet), but just for the sake of adding to my general collection of knowledge, can this be done using "conventional" high gravity brewing methods (the same methods used to make a brew of, say, 11%)? It seems that even the most hardcore of beer yeast, regardless of aeration, pitching rates, conditioning time, etc., would have a hard time with this without some kind of special and profound technique in place. I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.

captaineriv

Yep, I looked at the description for WL Super High Gravity yeast and it said:

"Do not start with the entire wort sugar at once. Begin fermentation with a wort that would produce a 6-8% beer, and add wort (it can be concentrated) each day during the first 5 days."

Sounds like a royal pain. It seems like the only way to do something like that would be to basically add straight LME during the 5 days. I don't see how this could be done using AG methods without literally boiling and evaporating the water out of the runoff for hours, if not days. No wonder no one attempts it...

captaineriv

So, call it a partial mash. Brew a high gravity ale using a yeast that works for the style, then the SHG yeast & LME per schedule. Saki is brewed in steps, about 1/3 of the mash per week. My friend, Mark at the Golden Valley Brewery, came up with an IPA Brut. He brews an Imperial IPA, ages it in used wine barrels, then loads it with sugar for a second ferment, methode Champennoise.

My heaviest has been a barleywine that is probably 14%, although I have a hopwine in the secondary fermentor that might hit 18%.

Doing 20%, AG would certainly be a pain.

Glad I know the process now just for the sake of knowing it. Even using the most simplified methods necessary, it still seems like a tedious process and probably not worth the effort, in most cases. Until I lose my mind and decide to make what is basically fortified wine (or instant death in a bottle, based on personal experiences with port), I'll stick with my wussy 11% Belgians. :drunk:

captaineriv

somehow managed to post to the wrong thread... now I can figure out how to delete the message.

Back