Stained bucket or 5 gallon carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeknere

Reaction score
Brewing up an Orange Cream Ale tomorrow. My starter is working hard and all of my ingredients are ready.

Was going through some stuff tonight and noticed that the bucket I use for my primary is stained (probably from the chocolate stout I had in there for three and a half weeks) and smells like...well...beer.

So I'm wondering what I should do tomorrow. I have sanitized and cleaned the bucket and its still stained. The only other thing I have is a 5 gallon carboy. Since it's a five gallon batch do I just throw it in the carboy, hook up a blow off tube, and take the hit on the loss of some beer (I know blasphemy, right)? Or do I ferment in the bucket? It's not terribly stained, but its a noticeably different color.

Thoughts?

hmmm... i would sugest if you really to use the bucket then go ahead and use it, just sanitize it an extra time for peace of mind and brew away.

Cheers

Back