Fermentation...Repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bopper

Reaction score
About 2 and a half weeks ago I brewed a double IPA. I pitched a vile of WL CA Ale yeast (i should have a made a starter, I know but didn't due to time constraints and I wanted to brew). I racked to secondary after 7 days. The krousen had dropped and there was very little airlock activity.

It has been in the secondary approx 1.5 weeks now. Since I racked, the airlock activity has increased a bit (very strange...anyone have any ideas as to why? I think the temp in the room may have increased a few degrees) It is bubbling about 2-4 times a minute.

Should I consider pitching some champagne yeast (in a starter) to be sure this thing ferments out completely?

Thanks,

Jim

I would leave it in the secondary for at least a total of two to three weeks. Do you have a hydrometer? Is the gravity steady or still dropping? Are there still bubbles being produced?

Sometimes racking can put some of the yeast that had settled out back into suspension. That along with the slightly warmer temperatures may have resulted in some increased fermentation.

I wouldnt repitch any yeast yet, just wait it out and see where it goes.

- magno

I have to agree with mango. A double can take much longer to ferment and if it actively fermenting now, why re-pitch? If the gravity was high and not changing, then you would re-pitch.

Thanks for the advice.

Would there be any ill effects from repitching?

Baron von BeeGee said:
It would be a waste of money if it's bubbling 2-4 times a minute. What are you expecting to achieve by repitching an actively fermenting wort?

Its my first high gravity ale...just not used to this taking so long.

Back