new Keggle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewurzel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was just given a keg to make into a brew kettle, which I was thinking I could make into a keggle to upgrade my system into a 10-gallon system.
I get it home
And then look at it and find out its a bass keg which is 50 Liters
Which is only 13.2 us gallons
I believe the American kegs are 15 or 15.5 us gallons.

Is it worth me spending my time to make this bass keg into a keggle as How many gallons will I be able to brew with it. With out the worry of boil over.

Should I just use it as a HLT as I am sure it would be adequate for that and see if I can get a standard us keg for the boil.

Thanks

It should be possible to do 10G batches in it with some monitoring, I'd go with option number 2 and used it for the HLT.

Just watch it. Keep a spray bottle of ice water handy to spray on the boil when it starts getting close.

I dont know guys, I have a standard Keg, and have had that thing up to 14.5 gallons with a 90 minute boil for a 10 gallon batch. I think you will be limited if you use it.
Just my opinion, but I would get a larger Keg, convert this one as well and use it as a HLT, or a MLT, it will work great for that.
Again, just my opinion.

Back