Metallic taste in lots of beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anybody else notice a prominent metallic taste in a lot of commercial beers? For example, I had a dead guy ale the other day, and one of the very first tastes that hits your tongue is something akin to licking a penny.

I assume this is not normal or intentional right?

Does anybody else notice a prominent metallic taste in a lot of commercial beers? For example, I had a dead guy ale the other day, and one of the very first tastes that hits your tongue is something akin to licking a penny.

I assume this is not normal or intentional right?

Oh, it's very intentional if I get it right, especially in KIRIN! And, being Celiac, I'm trying to recreate that fabulous aftertaste in my home brew.
Anyone got a clue on how to do that?

I was getting something akin to that in some of my beers and finally traced it back to Magnum hops I was using for bittering. Not sure it was that metallic, but a definite aftertaste.

I was getting something akin to that in some of my beers and finally traced it back to Magnum hops I was using for bittering. Not sure it was that metallic, but a definite aftertaste.

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

I doubt that Dead Guy is available in cans - I've never seen it except in bottles. When I taste off-flavors in beers that I know are good, I chalk it up to poor temperature control during transit.

You WANT a metal taste in your beer? Come on over and have one of my ESB I have bottled up. This wretched much taste like I somehow cloned Uncle Sam's recipe for brewing pennies.

i taste it in guinness and darker beers. but guinness it was strong. and yes the guiness was in bottles.

Latest posts

Back