Using a microwave to dry hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm...looks intersting and i could see how the water gets "sucked" out. I'm not sure if it would affect the flavor or the storage integrity. I'm just gonna go with the food dehydrator or door screen method.

Good find though,

Haven't tried hops, but based on other experiences, there is a fine line between dry & toasted.

Any process that dries them quickly is going to remove a bit of flavor and aroma. If you live in a place that's warm/dry in the summer, you can just set them out on screens for a couple of days.

Interesting. I would have thought that the oils (which you want to keep) would be affected more than the water (which you want to get rid of) by the microwaves...I mean, think about how quickly oils and fats get hot in a microwave vs. how long it takes to heat plain water.

I imagine the "seaside" aroma he's talking about has something to do with the hop oils getting "cooked".

It's best to air dry hops with a fan. Use a dessicant to finish drying.

Back