Best sack prices in Denver?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkshadow

Reaction score
I'm going to have a mill in about a month and was wondering where people buy their sacks. I'm looking for 2Row and maybe pilsner. I live in Littleton but I'll drive if the gas math is right.

Thanks

I've looked into that but haven't pulled the trigger on contacting them because I was waiting til I had a mill. Do you know anything about how much shipping costs?

Check out this thread

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/bulk-malt-denver-142620/

Most prices were around $30-$50 per #50 shipped which is crazy good pricing, but that thread is somewhat old. Best advice would be to just check with these dudes that run colorado malting. I asked them about their party in August and they got back to me first thing this AM. Very responsive.

I'm just venturing in BIAB right now but when I do start growing my supply of All-Grain, these dudes are who I am going with for sure. Most folks buy grain from their local brew shop. To have a farm growing ingredients within hours of your home - I can't imagine any place being able to compete with that.

Also, if you are going to buy in 50# sizes..head to a local brewpub, have a couple beers with brewers and piggyback off their orders. Im paying 89 cents a pound on my 2 row and about 1.05 on specialities

Sacks of American 2-row, awesome flavor and results, as low as $47.95 from us, Quirky Homebrew Supply. Speciality grain and others are typically below $2/lb (most $1.75) but we offer bulk pricing on all grains if you really want 55lbs of Carafa Special or whatever ;-)
In addition to the standard HBS mill, we have a awesome professional grade mill-free to use for our customers.
Support your local shop so you have a local shop!

I appreciate that but I'm getting ready to move to Washington so I never ended getting that mill. Thanks for the response. Maybe it will help somebody else.

Good luck out there, and for your sake I hope it's Washington State and not Washington DC!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks Jason. We just updated the grain prices as well. The list is on the right hand side of this page: http://quirkyhomebrew.com/beer.html
We can get any malt you want or need, this list is what we regularly carry in the store by the lb and then the bag price. Same low price no matter how many. We lowered a few prices and raised none.
See ya soon!
Cheers

Thanks Jason. We just updated the grain prices as well. The list is on the right hand side of this page: http://quirkyhomebrew.com/beer.html
We can get any malt you want or need, this list is what we regularly carry in the store by the lb and then the bag price. Same low price no matter how many. We lowered a few prices and raised none.
See ya soon!
Cheers

Nice selection of grains! A bit of a drive for me but I'll have to come check out your shop sometime soon.

I'm sure all small business owners love unsolicited advice, but here goes ... have you considered adding any Colorado Malting Co. grains? They seem well-respected, and I imagine a fair number of folks would be interested in trying locally grown grains (especially if it's available by the pound so they don't have to invest in a mill and deal with weighing and storing grain). If you had anything other than CMC's Base Pale or Pilsner (just bought those in bulk in a group buy) for sale by the pound I would definitely swing by to pick some up. Maybe not feasible given their order size requirements, but thought I'd throw it out there!

I have tried to carry CMC, however their business model and practices make that impossible. I hope they figure some things out soon as we would like to carry them. I can tell you the MaltEurop is an American grain from the west and it is amazing-any customer that ask for CMC stuff, I direct to M.E. and they are very pleased with the result and it is less expensive at $47.95/bag. You should swing by anyway, buying pallets of grain is not an issue for us, it is a pretty frequent occurrence and we have some pretty amazing stuff in stock, including a lot of Colorado items-we support the local wholesalers/manufacturers/growers as much as we can.

I was also interested in CMC but I've heard stores can make 0 to little profit from selling them

Does anyone have a place they buy premium grade grains from on-line? There's some premiums popping up in LHBS's now but I'm interested in seeing what else is out there above and beyond the LHBS, including Quirky. I'm willing to pay a little more for organic/premiums.

Bondra76-All LHBS can get organic grains. We stock a few ourselves but overall demand is minimal. I have sold 2 bags in the past 10 months of organic.
There are only a handful of grain wholesalers, we have working agreements with all that we can find-large and small to the point some breweries come here to get specialties as they cannot get them otherwise. Anything you find on line we can try to get if we do not already have access to it. Odds are-we already can get it!

A quick count-I have about 40 organic grains available to order. Most LHBS will have similar. Give me a call or PM/email with what you want or if you want a list, I can put one together for you.

Thanks quirky - I appreciate the response but I am on the southern end of town and I am only interested in a price per lb specialty grains price. I'd use quirky if I was close but you're way too far north of town for me.

Bondra76 and others-IF...IF Quirky's were to have a selection of organics, would you make the trek to buy here? Is there enough demand for organic grains? Pricing is higher (wholesale is higher), probably minimum $2/lb and some closer to $3.50 or so. I honestly have not totally researched but would, as always, meet or beat on line pricing.
edit-Bondra-just saw the website you linked, will match their pricing. By the lb or by the bag taking into account shipping/tax to be fair. Let me know.

Stopped in again today and picked up another sack of floor malted Maris Otter and some Gigayeast Vermont IPA mmmmm goooooda.

Castle Rock Homebrew Supply has a new program where you buy a sack of base malts at 50lb prices. They keep the grain in the store and you just deduct pounds off as you go in to collect your 50lbs over time.

I'm buying my own bags now, but this is a great deal if you don't stock your own base malts.

Back