Keezer cycle times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weeple2000

Reaction score
Hi,

I am curious as to how long my keezer should be cycling. I wired the ever popular STC-1000 temp controller. At first I measured air temp with 1 degree variance, it cycled in 20 minutes with the compressor running for 1.5 minutes. I read a bit, and decided it must be cycling too quickly. So I insulated the probe to a water bottle, probably about 20 oz. I changed the differential to 3 degrees and set it a bit cooler. Now it cycles for 4 hours and 45 minutes with the compressor running for 28 minutes.

Do I need to find a happy medium? I could change the variance and keep the water bottle.

I am asking because it seems that cycle times and compressor running times determine the life of the actual freezer.

Hi,

I am curious as to how long my keezer should be cycling. I wired the ever popular STC-1000 temp controller. At first I measured air temp with 1 degree variance, it cycled in 20 minutes with the compressor running for 1.5 minutes. I read a bit, and decided it must be cycling too quickly. So I insulated the probe to a water bottle, probably about 20 oz. I changed the differential to 3 degrees and set it a bit cooler. Now it cycles for 4 hours and 45 minutes with the compressor running for 28 minutes.

Do I need to find a happy medium? I could change the variance and keep the water bottle.

I am asking because it seems that cycle times and compressor running times determine the life of the actual freezer.

I taped my probe to a water bottle and have my diff set to 3?F (~1.5?C), and it cycles once every ~4hrs and runs for ~20-25 min. Your cycle times and compressor run times seem fine to me. You could probably drop the diff to have tighter control if you wanted to, but leaving it as is certainly isn't hurting anything or decreasing the life of the compressor.

I would leave the probe attached to the bottle but lower temp diff to 1 or 2 degrees. Your not harming the compressor either way. Also make sure the compressor delay is set to 10-12 minutes.

Your cycle time will change once you have thermal mass inside. Mine dropped to about 5-7 minute run time every 2-4 hours depending on the ambient temperature if I open the top change kegs etc. I have 12 kegs in varying stages of amounts 2 more sitting on gas waiting for an open tap 2 three gallon kegs for travel/ just in case 2 or more kick and 4 more outside the keezer waiting for room inside.:ban:

Latest posts

Back