New pot - how to mark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doornumber3

Reaction score
So i just got my new 10 gallon brewpot for Williams yesterday. I had a question and not sure it's possible, but does anyone mark the inside of their pot for gallon marks. I'd love to be able to just fill it to a line and not have to measure out each gallon. Thanks

or get a cheap metal yardstick and put your markings on that. I got mine for less than $5 at the hardware store.

I got a long stainless steel stirring spoon from a local restaurant supply store and put a file mark on it for each half-gallon.

Thanks!. I didn't think there was a way but figured i'd ask. I'm going to do the marks on a spoon. I have all my carboys marked so i can fill that and then dump it too.

Thanks again guys.

Add one gallon and measure the height. Add another gallon and measure the height again and take the difference. The reason not to take the first dimension is because the pot is rounded at the bottom so the dimension may be a little different. I marked my pot with a sharpie it holds up pretty good. About every 4-5 brews I have go over the marks again.

Why not buy a cheap flexible stainless steel ruler and have the most accurate volume measurement ever? Do like beernut70 did above and add a gallon and mark the measurement (on the ruler and not with sharpie!) then add another and mark the measurement then simply extrapolate out the next few gallons in whatever increments you feel suit you. You can then either use the ruler as a dipstick or affix it to the wall of the BK with a food safe adhesive like JB Weld. Check this cheap ruler out.

http://www.staples.com/General-13-in-L-SS-05-mm-32nds-And-8ths-16ths-Inch/product_580516#desc_content

Sharpie ink is toxic, why take the risk when there are other solutions that don't add solvents to your beverages?

Ummm no it isn't, says so right on the sharpie. "Nontoxic, conforms to ASTM D-4236. Made in the USA" Wonder what is coming off the cheap Chinese ruler.

Ummm no it isn't, says so right on the sharpie. "Nontoxic, conforms to ASTM D-4236. Made in the USA" Wonder what is coming off the cheap Chinese ruler.

Read a little closer: "They are considered non-toxic for "normal uses", meaning writing on posters, soccer balls and such." Not ingesting! Sharpies contain n-propanol, n-butanol, diacetone alcohol and cresol. n-propanol, is commonly used in cosmetics, but the other three are industrial solvents - chemicals that should not be sniffed, eaten, or put on the skin.

And the ruler is momentarily dipped in the cool water to gauge strike/sparge water volume before heating. Probably not much coming off of it into the cool water in a couple of seconds. The Sharpie ink, however, is in contact with boiling wort for at least an hour.

Beernut, I apologize, I'm not trying to be a jerk about this or anything. It's your beer, you can do whatever you want with it. I'm just saying personally, I wouldn't risk it - not when there are other ways to accomplish the same thing, that don't require exposing my beer to potentially toxic solvents. I just use a wooden dowel that's been notched to indicate gallon marks.

Really? :confused: Most of it comes off when I wash my pot. If your worried about a little sharpie ink in your beer it must suck to live in a bubble. Sorry I even replied.

Sharpie ink is toxic, why take the risk when there are other solutions that don't add solvents to your beverages?

You both have valid points. The quantity of sharpie ink actually making it into the beer is in the ppt range. And yes there are solvents in all inks, but the solvent is only there to make the ink flow. What do you think happens to the solvents once the ink dries? The idea behind all ink/solvent combinations is for the solvent to keep the ink liquid, but once it dries completely all of the solvent has evaporated, leaving behind only the indelible ink. Sharpie markings are by and large waterproof once dried and they have only been coming off from scrubbing/cleaning, but I still wouldn't want those markings exposed to boiling hot, low pH wort for an extended period of time, let's say 60 minutes. I say sharpie marking is fine for a dipstick type measuring device that is exposed for a limited period of time, but not ok for marking the pot itself.

I don't want to get into whether or not it is a good idea, but the solvent is only there as long as you can smell it. Solvents are very volatile (which is why they smell so strong), so they aren't around long. Once they evaporate, you can't smell them because they are gone. All that is left is the dye, which is likely harmless. Not sure how long it would last in boiling water, though.

I use a stainless ruler - works great. I made a spread sheet that tells me what inch markings equal how many gallons. Another thing to consider is water temperature when measuring. I have a measured bucket for filling, but I use the the ruler for measuring pre-boil volumes. Because of this, I calibrated my measuring stick with water that was around 155 degrees as thats pretty close to the temp I'm usually taking pre-boil volumes at. Just something to think about.

looking for a way to measure my preboil wort volume...I think ill go with the stainless ruler

I got a cheap metal yardstick and use it. Rather than marking it with gallons, I simply measured and have a record of how many inches equal a gallon. In my 11 gallon kettle each gallon is 1.5 inches. In my 20 gallon kettle each gallon is 0.75 inches. If I need a certain number of gallons, a simple math problem tells me how many inches.

FWIW, I marked my wooden stir paddle with a sharpie. I hasn't worn off in 3 years of brewing and it's cheap and easy.
My other kettle has a sight glass which is much nicer.

Back