Sous Vide made easy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aubiecat

Reaction score
Inspired Revvy's easy made sous vide cooker , I put together a cooker fast and cheap.
I already had a fermentation temp. controller and a 48qt. cooler plus a few other odd and ends to complete the cooker.

Here is the extra gear I purchased to complete the cooker.
Two NORPRO 559 Immersion Heaters and a Fusion Air Pump 500 Aquarium Air Pump

DSC00002.jpg

Out of the cartons.
DSC00003.jpg

To test it out I went simple. 1' of 1-1/4" blow off tubing, a 90º SS elbow, a 4" long piece of acrylic tubing and 4' of aquarium air tubing.
IMG140.jpg

IMG141.jpg

IMG142.jpg

The elbow weights one side down and air keeps the other end at an angle to create the pumping action.
DSC00007.jpg

It's best to boil a pot of water to add and speed things up unless you have time to wait on the temp to build. Testing the heating time I started out at 106º and it took a little over half an hour to get to 138º.
DSC00005.jpg

A couple of New York strips were the first victims and they turned out superb. Notice I turned the pump tube around to get better flow against the heating elements. Note: I did keep the top closed during cooking.
DSC00014.jpg

After one hour at 138º, medium rare, they are ready to come out.
DSC00015.jpg

Out of the bath.
DSC00017.jpg

Torches ain't just for welding.
DSC00018.jpg

Bon appetit.
DSC00019.jpg

I plan on making a float for the cup heaters and maybe a hinge mechanism for the air/water pump. This can be used in just about any size cooler. The smaller the better. I used the 48qt cooler just to see how well it would work and it passed with flying colors.

Back