On a road trip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaiger

Reaction score
I'm driving from washington to san fran, California. I need to good breweries to stop at along the way. Anyone name top 5 places for me to stop at? I want to go to Nikaski brewing for sure.

Thanks
Jai

What route are you taking? I5, 101, the Coast Highway? Since you mention Nikaski, I'd assume I5. If so, Mt. Shasta Brewing in Weed, CA has a Jalapeno beer that's worth the stop.

You should try and make your way to Russian River in Santa Rosa. They have some tremendous beers that most of us never see. It is always my goal to get over there when we are down for wine country...

I've done this road trip twice (well, three times if you count back-and-forth on one trip) for a combination of camping, fishing, and beer touring. We stopped at literally dozens of places! My top recommendation is Rouge in Oregon. Great beer, good food, awesome vibe, and beautiful scenery. The second is Lagunitas, about an hour north of San Fran. The beer is great, the food is good, and the vibe is welcoming with local bands playing many days. Kinda a crappy location in that there's not much else to do, but it's a good stop on your way.

Those were my top two. Here are thoughts on other popular ones.

Though touristy, the McCallister Breweries in Portland can be fun. One is in an old high school, so you can drink in bars that used to be classrooms or check out the gym and swimming pool. OK beer, so-so food, but nifty buildings.

I agree with another poster about Anchor Brewery in San Fran. Good stuff!

I was disappointed by Russian River. The food was bad, the beer wasn't different than we get in San Diego (but we're a beer paradise, so Russian River beers make it here often). The town is expensive, too.

Eureka, CA has several breweries such as North Coast. Though all good, the experiences didn't make me call them "destination breweries" like Rouge or Lagunitas.

yes hit Ninsaka in Eugene(Vanilla Oatis is sublime!).. as you then head north and enter the outskirts or Portlan... portscum that is... make sure you are gased up and haul ass through that slime-hole... making a bee line for the Columbia River... once you are through Portscum and are not propositioned, molested, insulted, offered meth, or shot at you can take a breath and enjoy the rest of your trip... a pint or three at the Salmon Creek Brewery and Pub in Vancouver, WA should be well-deserved... have fun...

oh... you are heading south... beer and reading don't always mix... then you know all the perils of stopping in portscum... get on I-5 and head directly to Ninkasa in Eugene! Hang a middle finger out the window as you rip through portscum...

Thank you to everyone who replied! I hit up Pike Place Brewery yesterday as well as had a few drinks atop the space needle, I'll be making a stop in Portland today, brief but well needed. Rouge is a good call, I currently live in the Bay Area and have already done the anchor and RR breweries.

North Coast is a must for me, I love their beers. Thanks again!

So I hit up a few beerieries and Black Dragon Brewery was the best, in Woodland, Ca

Back