• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Stir Plates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shipping is turning out to be more expensive than I expected (I am in Canada). I am getting an average quote of $25 to ship from here. I'd rather not charge you all that much to ship.

I am going to be in North Dakota for one day next weekend. If I can find a post office that is open while I am there I can send the units via USPS. The average shipping quote then drops to $11 for a total cost of $31. I won't have access to a computer while I am there so I will need paypal payments and your addresses by next Friday (the day before I leave).

I've decided to keep 3 units so 7 are up for grabs. The first 7 people I have on my "want" list are:

Integra93ls
brewscambell
jrems
brewing Meister
sippin37
rfavors
rellot

If you are on the above list please let me know if you're still interested.

Still want it. It looks like it will fit in the biggest priority mail flat rate box, so that is good for us here in the US. you want us to PM you for your paypal?

I guess you have them right now? How easy has it been for you to bend the top back in place? How well do they work?

I haven't received them yet. They are being shipped to me by the person I bought them from. To be perfectly honest that is what I am driving to ND to pick up. That and some home brew supplies I can't get shipped here (being in Canada makes it a ***** to get things from places like Northern Brewer and we don't have a decent shop anywhere near where I live.)

I had the seller measure and weigh the stir plates before he boxed them up. The quote I gave assumed his measurements and weights are accurate.

I also asked him about the top plates. Apparently the one in the picture is the worst of the bunch. He said that the top plate is thin aluminum and that it bends pretty easily.

My original plan (when I made my first post) was to bring the plates home, test them and try to fix a few of the top plates myself to make sure it's easily done. I didn't expect shipping from here to be so expensive though. Doing it this way will work but I'm not sure how I'm going to test the units (and I won't sell them unless I can test them first). If I was spending the night I'd just test them in the hotel.

Any ideas?

Show up at some place of business and look for an outlet! See how long until they call the swat team on you when you pull out your Erlenmeyer flask and start testing the stir plates. They won't know what is going on.

Maybe someone on here is from ND and can help you out?

Or, if you have a power inverter, you could plug it into your car and test them that way.

Yeah or perhaps you can test them at the seller's house, sounds like you are picking up from him in ND assuming he lives there. As long as it is working then I don't mind taking the top aluminum plate and bending that back into shape myself. I can send over the payment thru PayPal and include my address for shipping. Just PM me your PayPal info and we'll be good.

No, they're being shipped to ND. I am just picking them up there.

In hindsight it'd have been easier to just sell these things at my local homebrew club. But I offered them here first so I'd like to try to figure it out.

In any case I won't be crossing with an erlenmeyer so I'll only be able to test them with a stir bar on the top plate. Hope that's sufficient. I can't stand crossing the border especially if I'm bringing back something odd. The stir plates are likely going to cause me enough grief. If I try to bring back an erlenmeyer they're likely going to think I'm running a meth lab. You should've seen the grief the last time I tried to cross with a styrafoam cooler full of yeast vials and hops!

That's them but I bought them off another site. He must've had multiple listings.

you can test these in any container with water, as in a cup. I would also recommend the power inverter.

Had to put the trip to ND off. Been waiting for another package to arrive. I also looked into shipping the stir plates while in the US but it turns out that is not going to work. The post office in town closes at 10:00am and the business holding the stir plates for me doesn't open until 11:00.

Sorry for not updating the thread sooner. I've been trying to figure out a way to make it work but it's not going to. Unless you want to pay shipping from Canada this is a no-go, at least for the time being. I'll probably try to sell the stir plates at my next club meeting. I will be returning to the US in late March though so if I have any left I'll re-list then.

Assuming theres an unclaimed unit, I would be interested. What does the shipping to Ontario look like?

Back