Dumb noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch this weekend. I have tried searching this and watching the few videos I have.
When you steep your grains for around 30 40 minutes at 150. Do you put the grains in right away with the cool water and rise it to 150 then steep it for 30 minutes or do your get the water to 150 and THEN put the grains in for 30 minutes?

Another one to add, I was looking at some tubing for a blow off tube at lowes today, I couldnt find on to fit in the neck of the better bottle. Does it matter if the hose goes inside the neck or around the outside of the neck?
I found a couple rubber converter things with a clamp on either end that would fit around the neck and clamp it tight but not sure if it matters if it goes around the outside or inside of the neck

Thanks in advance

The only reason I'd suggest getting the temp up first, then adding, is in case you get distracted and let the heat go too high (over 170). You can turn the water on and let it go. If it goes too high, just let it cool. If the grain is in when that happens, you get bitter tannins.

When i did mine today i just put it in the cold water and then heated it up, That is how my instructions said to do it. Seemed to work good for me.

My opinion only because it is the way "how to brew" says to do it = temp to 150, then steep for 30 mins, then take out.

Blow-off tube = use your transfer tubing and put it in the hole in your stopper or carboy cap. Then get some that fits around the whole thing the next time you buy homebrew stuff. Until then, this will get you by.

I am also new but have two books and they each advocate one of the methods discussed above. Papazian says "The most effective way to introduce the goodness of specialty grains in malt extract brewing is to add the cracked grains to the cold water as it is being brought to a boil. Just before the water comes to a boil, ...remove it and add you malt extract."

tbone said:
I am also new but have two books and they each advocate one of the methods discussed above. Papazian says "The most effective way to introduce the goodness of specialty grains in malt extract brewing is to add the cracked grains to the cold water as it is being brought to a boil. Just before the water comes to a boil, ...remove it and add you malt extract."

That's what I've always done and never had a problem.

*except for the boil part I usally bring to 150 or so give or take 10 degrees and steep for whatever the required time is.*

Back