thermometer calibration help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldogxray

Reaction score
I am brewing a mac and jacks clone today. I put my thermometers in an ice slurry and adjusted them to 32 then I decided to boil some water on the stove and put them in. They were both about 200 degrees. How am I suppose to use these now? I am not sure what to do. They were fine for freezing but way off for boiling.

How am I suppose to use these now?

Either with the appropriate Kentucky windage, or not at all. FWIW ice slurries usually don't quite get down to 32, often stopping a couple degrees short. I usually set mine for 34 degrees in an ice slurry. If you do want to use them, I'd rather have the calibration accurate closer to boiling than freezing, since the important mash temps are closer to 212 than 32.

Calibrate off of the boiling level. That is the most important mark. Exactly as JuanMoore said.

It is hard to get something right at 32F. Unless you freeze the tip of the thermometer into some ice and let it sit and out melt, watch for that steady transition temp, it is really hard to know when you are at 32F. Just go with the 212F point and call it good.

Calibrate off of the boiling level. That is the most important mark. Exactly as JuanMoore said.

It is hard to get something right at 32F. Unless you freeze the tip of the thermometer into some ice and let it sit and out melt, watch for that steady transition temp, it is really hard to know when you are at 32F. Just go with the 212F point and call it good.

Sounds good Thanks for the help

Back