Gelatine before secondary ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
Can I : primary, cold crash, gelatine and then secondary ?
This will give me an oppurtunity to gelatine again at the end of secondary if the beer hasn't cleared properly.
Im concerned the gelatine will remove too much suspended yeast which will prevent proper lagering or "cleaning up" in the case of ales.

You really shouldn't need to use the gelatin twice. Let it ferment properly, then crash it, then rack to the secondary. If it is not clear (which I highly doubt), you can rack to a tertiary container if needed after the secondary. It will remove a lot yeast. You want to make sure the beer is done (meaning fermented and cleaning up, etc.) before you use the gelatin.

Its normally 90% clear after I gelatine in secondary. But if it can be detramental to the beer to gelatine before secondary I will stick to my current process. I guess I can always gelatine in the keg if I really need to.

Back